PDA

View Full Version : Rome (Frascati) 2011 Gathering - Talk Proposals

jbleuel
08-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Hi Guys,

Just setting up a quick thread where people can submit proposals for talks at this years Pentaho Community Gathering in Rome (Frascati). Add stuff to this thread and we will collate them all and post the ideas on the wiki:
http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/COM/Pentaho+Community+Gathering+-+Rome+%28Frascati%29+2011

Cheers,
Jens

Roland.Bouman
08-15-2011, 05:17 AM
Hi All!

as always, I'd be thrilled to do a presentation. There's 4 things that come to mind that I think might be interesting for a pentaho meetup

- Xmla4js updates - what has been happening with Xmla4js (not a lot, but some geeks may be interested none-the less)
- Kettle-cookbook - status update on kettle cookbook. New features like auto-documentation of not just kettle, but an entire pentaho-solutions directory, documenting kettle solutions stored in the repository, and the road ahead.
- Pendular, the light-weight end-user oriented front-end plugin for the pentaho bi-server
- Datavault and anchor modeling: novel modeling methods for auditable and agile data warehousing, and the currently available open source tools

(first three would be rather specific to pentaho; last one would be a more general overview of these emerging techniques)

I recall that on all occassions, the talks schedule has grown pretty tight, since there seems to be an increasing number of people that have quality talks to share. In the past years I think all available time was simply divided evenly across all speakers. We can do it that way too, but maybe it would be nice to do try an alternative format. In addition to the traditional 30 to 45 minute talks, two things come to my mind:

- ignite style talks. Format: you have 20 slides which run in autocue, and you have 5 minutes. Enlighten us, but make it brief. It works best if you have like an hour of these talks in a row (pref. a separate speaker for each). If done right, that's going to be a very inspirational and dense hour, very suitable to present an original, personal point of view on familiar topics, and also very good to introduce a novel development or idea.

- lightning talks. Format: you have 15 minutes, up to you how many slides. This is great for product demonstrations. Still brief, but a little less fast-paced than ignite talks.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think about these (and possible yet other alternative) formats for talks.
(Of course if it turns out we don't have that many speakers we don't need to do it. it's just an idea for some variation).

Taqua
08-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Given that I received quite some excitement from my JavaScript-GUI blog posting, I propose to have a short presentation about how to build a non-GWT report viewer for the platform. That may ultimately lead us to abandon the heavy weight GWT GUI for something that is extensible and smart.

If there is any interest, I would show what interfaces the platform offers and how such a parameter UI can be built out of a string and a shoe box (shoes not included).

codek
08-27-2011, 02:16 AM
I do like the lightning talks idea...

I presume we'll have the usual update from Julian on Mondrian 4, update from Tom/Paul on Saiku, Update from Pedro/webdetails on CDF/mozilla, Update from Matt on PDI etc etc etc?

Who else from the Pentaho technical team are coming? Doug - any sneek peeks you can present?

Dan

PS And yes Taqua that does sound good! And you can rest easy this year - I've not been doing so much reporting in the last year, so wont burn your ears off quite so much with my experiences :)

pstoellberger
08-27-2011, 07:50 PM
i like the lightning talk idea as well. get some more people to present (or just more topics) and avoids endless presentations

yeah, i will present saiku
tom is doing something else.. about automated BI processes (CI, ETL via rpm's, ....)

jbleuel
08-29-2011, 04:07 AM
I like the proposal to keep the talks shorter and concentrated - I think the presenter could decide on his/her own what format but we should ring some kind of a bell after x minutes - depending on the number of talks... some guys could get a special longer slot when they need more and we can be sure it will not getting boring :-)

> Who else from the Pentaho technical team are coming?

It looks like at least the following Pentaho gang will come: Doug, Julian, Thomas, Matt, Jan, Slawo, myself

I will present how to connect Kettle with the "real world" via a hardware IO contoller: "The Kettle model train fun project"

CU in Frascati,
Jens

MattCasters
08-29-2011, 01:16 PM
+1 on the lightning talks idea. I would like to present blurbs (10-15' talks) on the following topics:

PDI integration with Data Cleaner, state of cooperation with that project (*new*)
Migration of KFF into PDI 4.3 (*new*)
The state of dynamic ETL a.k.a. metadata injection
The cool state of the Single Threader step and engine.
Real-time data integration with PDI
The Transformation and Job steps (*new*)

Pick as many as you like or combine multiples into a single 15' session.
See you all there!

Cheers,
Matt

jaertsen
08-30-2011, 07:08 PM
I like the idea of the lighting talks. (Not sure if we should include thunder speeches too however.)

Last year there were several ideas on new 'formats'. I've written down the following proposals back then:
- groups discussions on a specific topic (who's interested can participate)
- a "what sucks session" (proposed by Grumpy)
- architecture sessions around a white board

Personally, I really look forward to the "what sucks" session from Grumpy, but I believe the other sessions could be interesting too. If we need to break up for one of these sessions, or need whiteboards and other materials, I might need to check with the hotel on space/materials, so please notify me upfront if any new format you plan to use requires specific materials.

jaertsen
08-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Roland, I like all of your topics!

pmalves
08-31-2011, 05:19 AM
Webdetails crew can have a few slots, depending on the format:

- BI firefox telemetry
- Mobile bi
- ctools stuff

bugg_tb
09-07-2011, 07:18 AM
If people are interested I have been asked to demonstrate automated build and deployment techniques I use in packaging ETL code as RPM's and deploying it automatically on servers.

lucboudreau
09-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Julian and I would like to propose a joint talk on:

- Distributed caching & the new features of Mondrian 3.3.0
- Mondrian 4.0 - Alpha preview

bugg_tb
09-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Isn't distributed caching an EE 'feature' though? :)

lucboudreau
09-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Isn't distributed caching an EE 'feature' though? :)

On the contrary, I'd like to demonstrate how Mondrian users, EE or community alike, can use Mondrian 3.3's new features to better integrate with their corporate environment. The caching architecture of Mondrian allows everyone to develop their own pluggable extensions. Come on Tom, you know the Mondrian team enough to know we always make as much as possible available to our beloved community. :)

bugg_tb
09-07-2011, 10:40 AM
hehe I'm just messing with ya, certainly very interesting, I would like chat with you in Rome about scalability and stuff so it'll be good to see. Also Mondrian 4 stuff would be good, interested to see the new schema design etc.

AlainD
09-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Hello,

If there is a 15 minute slot left, I may take the opportunity to talk about some stuff I did at linalis to reassure some customer on how to use "Pentaho with Security".

A kettle to authenticate the employees of Sampledata, an other kettle to grant them various roles, and a java UI to edit the <Role> tags in Mondrian.

In all confidence...

bamaer
09-18-2011, 01:24 PM
I can do a quick talk on BIRT integration, cookbook from a repository or PRD custom functions if anyone's interested....

gmoran
09-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Hey all,

I'd like to introduce the Pentaho community to OpenMRS (for those not familiar with it), a medical records system that is becoming widely used in compromised countries throughout the world. We (Doug and Gretchen, the community people) have an opportunity to provide an integration between OpenMRS and Pentaho, everything from ETL through to the reporting layers. This is an exciting opportunity to see real positive change in health care in developing worlds, and Pentaho community can be a part of it! There's room for at last one do-gooder talk, isn't there? :) looking forward to seeing you all!!

jvdongen
09-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Hi Gretchen,

What an excellent idea! We're coming with 4 people of the Antonius Intelligence team; Antonius hospital developed its own open source MRS, and Aly Hollander would be happy to give a quick demo as well (or, it time doesn't permit, give you a private demo during lunch/coffee break)

best, Jos

jvdongen
09-20-2011, 02:31 AM
I promised to demo the Antonius dashboard developed by Webdetails; will only take a couple of minutes

cvkemenade
09-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Recently I have developed a tool to better manage Pentaho dashboards (Ctools .cdfde-file), the cdfdeMgt tool. The tool is currently under beta-testing and will be released as open-source soon.

I would like to give a 15-minute presentation (including discussion) because I would like to:
• get feedback the tool and the delivered functionality.
• see whether it would make sense to extend this tool to other Pentaho file-types (currently it is limited to .cdfde files).

A High level summary of functionality of the cdfdeMgt tool:
Basically it is a git-like version control system (create dashboards, commit versions, revert to last commit, etc..). However, this tool also has specific functionality to manage a series of dashboards in a synchronous way (for example if ‘department_A, department_B, … department_X then the tool can detect very specifically your updates to department_A dashboard (at the level of individual dashboard parameters) and apply these changes to the other dashboards too.).

Best regards,
Cees van Kemenade.

Rplp
09-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Hi, we have been working on the FusionCharts plugin (http://code.google.com/p/pentaho-fc-plugin/) that allows integration Flash charts on the Pentaho dashboards. The plugin has already been released as an open source project.

If you consider it interesting and there is enough time, I'd like to provide a quick presentation on this showing how it can be used and the type of end results you can achieve, 10-15min is enough.

Regards,
Ricardo Pires

dmoran
09-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Rplp - I'm putting you down for 15 mins

dmoran
09-20-2011, 02:31 PM
cvkemenade - Sounds great, I'll put you down for 15 mins!

dmoran
09-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Roland - how about a quick update of all the Roland projects? We can see the time for data vault or maybe do it as a community webex?

dmoran
09-20-2011, 03:05 PM
JavaScript-GUI blog posting sounds great and maybe a quick reporting update/roadmap

dmoran
09-20-2011, 03:06 PM
scheduling paul and tom for a saiku update.

dmoran
09-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Looking forward to the Kettle Train controller for a year and a half - bring your choo-choo...

dmoran
09-20-2011, 03:09 PM
although a "what sucks" talk is fun and easy, i'd like to change it to a "What sucks and how I intend to make it better" - I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of signups for that topic.

dmoran
09-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Bart - which ever topic you want is fine - I always like the BIRT updates

dmoran
09-20-2011, 04:30 PM
AlainD great topic I'll put you in