PDA

View Full Version : How to build plugin in Report Designer

gokula
04-23-2012, 01:05 AM
Hi,
Can anyone provide me the info to implement a new plugin in Report Designer. If you can share any link which contains the required info is also great.

gokula
04-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Hi,
Could anyone provide relevant links/docs if any.

thank you in advance.

codek
04-23-2012, 07:58 AM
What do you want it to do? There isn't a plugin mechanism in reporting. The approach may be to use PDI as a datasource and do your plugin there if your plugin is at the data source level?

gokula
04-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Hi,
Thank you for your response, I want to added a new functionality in the report designer. The functionality could be accessed through the File -> new MenuItem ( this would work as how the publish function is accessed for example).
I want to added a new menu item and on clicking on the new menu item the implementation would get executed and displays the status. please help me how to go about it.

Taqua
04-23-2012, 08:08 AM
There is a module system in place. You define a module, add it to your classpath and register its implementation on the global configuration (report-designer.properties file). This then initializes the module and allows it to inject itself into the report designer. This is how all datasources are coming in, how Table-of-contents and charts and even the platform-integration works.

The whole process is as complex or as simple as writing a Kettle-plugin - and there is no need to go through kettle to write a datasource, as the many existing plugins show.

Will Gorman's book covers that extension mechanism quite extensively, otherwise: The source of the existing modules is not hard to read too.