Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PDI doesn't start using Ubuntu 13.04

Matt Casters, Chief Data Integration
    Pentaho, Open Source Business Intelligence
    http://www.pentaho.org -- mcasters@pentaho.org

Author of the book Pentaho Kettle Solutions by Wiley. Also available as e-Book and on the Kindle reading applications (iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle devices, ...)

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho

Have the same issue here, any ideas or solution...i have java version 7 update 45

Thanks

I'm having the same issue when I try to run PDI on VMware with not native window resolution and vm-tools installed. Only I need to do is maximize VM window
    I think it is something wrong with GDI and not stanard screen resolutions.

Any worksaround ? Any ideas....ubuntu is used by tons of people, not good that we cant use kettle ....Seems im not the only one having this issue....

Thanks

About a third of the Pentaho developers run on Linux, most of them on Ubuntu so it's not a general issue.
    It all depends too much on your configuration to make intelligent remarks about it.

Going back to basics helps I guess.
    You need a 32-bit JVM for a 32-bit Linux and a 64-bit JVM for a 64-bit Linux.
    You are advised to use the Oracle JRE to run Pentaho software. Java versions 6 or 7 are supported.

I'll now install 13.04 in a clean VM to see what else you could possible need.

Author of the book Pentaho Kettle Solutions by Wiley. Also available as e-Book and on the Kindle reading applications (iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle devices, ...)

Thanks for your support....

I run spoon.sh, it seems ok, the splash screen. Then it appears the repos screen ( i dont use repos so i clik con cancel button), then it appears some hints ( hint of the day dialog), then when i close the window's hint, and began to use kettle...it crashes...

With this error in console:
    INFO 07-11 12:59:06,363 - Spoon - Buscando catálogo
    INFO 07-11 12:59:06,588 - RepositoriesMeta - Reading repositories XML file: /home/eduardo/.kettle/repositories.xml
    INFO 07-11 12:59:07,164 - Version checker - OK
    The program 'SWT' received an X Window System error.
    This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    The error was 'BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)'.
    (Details: serial 15766 error_code 9 request_code 62 minor_code 0)
    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

I have tried.... http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/COM/...n+on+Ubuntu+12

I have libwebkitgtk-1.0-0, libwebkitgtk-1.0-common and libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0 installed as it says the article...

but i dont have xulrunner installed as im using ubuntu 13.04

Im using java version "1.7.0_45"Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode)

Hope it helps this information...

pd: i use oracle java ( is in spanish but you could understand my java config

eduardo@MiPcLinux:/bin/data-integration$ update-alternatives --config java
    Existe 1 opción para la alternativa java (que provee /usr/bin/java).

Selección Ruta Prioridad Estado
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    0 /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin/java 3 modo automático
    * 1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin/java 3 modo manual
    Last edited by eduardo41974; 11-07-2013 at 08:39 AM.

So I installed a blank vanilla Ubuntu 13.04 desktop, all default with ugly Unity on it and horribly slow visual effects...

Then I installed the openjdk-7-jre package.
    Unzipped and tried both PDI 4.4.0 from sourceforge and 5 trunk snapshot from CI.
    Both worked with any additional changes. The only problem you see is that the welcome screen isn't integrated.

If you want to have the browser integrated, also useful for the Agile-BI plugin (under plugin/spoon, can be removed) you can install the webkitgtk library, package libwebkitgtk-1.0.0

http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/COM/...n+on+Ubuntu+12

Enjoy,

Matt

No sorry for my bad english, after hint of the day screen, when i hit on close button, in theory it has to appear kettle main screen, but it doesnt, I get stuck with the message of error i said before and i cant arrive to main screen, when i see the console terminal i can see the error commented.... I have ubuntu with all updates till today ( 13.04 not 13.109. perhaps some update causes the problem....

Sometimes not always, i dont know why for less than a second i can see the main screen of kettle, then its gone without doing anything....

Repository screen, hint of the day screen and then gone or sometimes a main screen during less than 1 second...

As said before I have libwebkitgtk-1.0-0, libwebkitgtk-1.0-common and libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0 installed as it says the article you link me...

I dont have xulrunner installed as said before...
    Any ideas are welcome...
    Last edited by eduardo41974; 11-07-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Again, anything else you installed or mis-configured is totally your responsibility.

However, if you can't get the browser to run in Spoon, that's OK. Try just removing the Agile BI plugin if it really bothers you that much. --> Remove/move folder plugins/spoon/agile-bi

If you still have browser woes after that (can't imagine how but...) edit file ~/.kettle/.spoonrc and set ShowWelcomePageOnStartup=N
    Last edited by MattCasters; 11-07-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Seems issue solved, thanks Matt.... I tried both your suggestions and worked ~/.kettle/.spoonrc and set ShowWelcomePageOnStartup=N... With this it works ok. Either if i remove or move Agile-bi or not. I tried first deleting the folder /plugins/spoon/agile-bi... but it didnt work again. So i changed the ShowWelcomePage and worked.... then i restore agile-bi and it continues working...So for some reason kettle wont work with ShowWelcomePageOnStartUp....

As said before perhaps any update broke something.....Hope it can help other people or be useful to the team to solve similar issues...