Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: XML Output errors

Default XML Output errors

I cannot get XML Output to work.

I am using Spoon 5.1.0 on Windows 7.

When I feed it with a SELECT statement from a table and go to the fields tab on the XML configuration and click "Get Fields", the fieldnames are generated and other fields populated as I would expect.

When I then click OK, I get the error below and when I then click OK to that message I am informed that Spoon may not be stable and asked if I want to continue. The only way out is to cancel the XML Output configuration stage.

Do I just have a bad copy of a java class? Should I try downloading again and reinstalling or is there a fix available somewhere?

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No enum constant org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.xmloutput.XMLField.ContentType.
    at java.lang.Enum.valueOf(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.xmloutput.XMLField$ContentType.valueOf(XMLField.java:36)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.trans.steps.xmloutput.XMLOutputDialog.getInfo(XMLOutputDialog.java:1130)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.trans.steps.xmloutput.XMLOutputDialog.ok(XMLOutputDialog.java:1152)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.trans.steps.xmloutput.XMLOutputDialog.access$1500(XMLOutputDialog.java:81)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.trans.steps.xmloutput.XMLOutputDialog$14.handleEvent(XMLOutputDialog.java:817)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.trans.steps.xmloutput.XMLOutputDialog.open(XMLOutputDialog.java:904)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.delegates.SpoonStepsDelegate.editStep(SpoonStepsDelegate.java:124)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.editStep(Spoon.java:8648)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.trans.TransGraph.editStep(TransGraph.java:3020)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.trans.TransGraph.mouseDoubleClick(TransGraph.java:737)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.readAndDispatch(Spoon.java:1297)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.waitForDispose(Spoon.java:7801)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.start(Spoon.java:9130)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.main(Spoon.java:638)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.commons.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:151)

Well, I've tried re-installing spoon, with the same result. Is this a bug?

check your field names looks like somehow may be a issue with white space while getting fields try to remove some of the fields and then give a try

Thanks,

I seem to have fixed it now by making sure all entries on the Fields tab has meaningful data including making sure that the Decimals and Group columns have dots and commas respectively for all numeric fields. Surely it should give a more meaningful error message warning that required entries were missing rather than erroring out like that.

Should someone report a bug?

Many Thanks

barrro

I think this should be recorded as a bug if not already so. I had to kill my Spoon and start it again, and I'm right now struggling to find out which column is causing the trouble because the error message is so cryptic.

Ah ok. So if I don't attempt to configure the fields using the "Get Fields" button then it works, but once I use "Get Fields" then I have to specify the "Content Type" for each field being displayed. If the "Content Type" is now required, maybe a message to that effect on the UI might be helpful.

Anyways, hope this is resolved soon, but other can try setting the "Content Type" for each column as a workaround.

Default xml output errors

en i ave got the same error.Can anyone suggest me how to get the error corrected?

but other can try setting the "Content Type" for each column as a workaround.
    That's the suggested solution.
    -- Mick --

First time user here. I was running the "Hello World" tutorial and encountered the same issue. Perhaps it would be a good update to the tutorial (http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/...+World+Example) to add the bit about setting content type of 'attribute' to the new 'msg' field after removing the two additional fields in the tutorial.