Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Window Sizes too big every time they are opened

Default Window Sizes too big every time they are opened

I was wondering if there was any way to make the window sizes for any step that I open remain at the size they were before I close them. Every time I open a window (especially with a second monitor), it makes the window massive and I have to adjust it down to fit on my screen, but these changes never stick. I was just wondering if there was some setting I'm unable to find, or something I can do in the registry for it to remember the last screen size of each window opened.

Kettle stores your UI settings in your home directory (.spoonrc).
    You should check what's going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    Kettle stores your UI settings in your home directory (.spoonrc).
    You should check what's going on there.
    Everything seems normal. But one weird thing is even when I change the W and H values for text file input (71), it is still opening in the reall big size that extends across to my second monitor. I halved both the height and width values that it was showing and nothing happened. Shouldn't there essentially be some auto adjusting feature happening that as soon as I change the window size and press ok, it should record those dimensions in this spoonrc file?

Your adjustments to window sizes are stored when Spoon is closed.
    They settings are ignored when the windows are reopened?
    I never had this problem with my dual monitor setup.

What if you maximize Spoon - is the window size confined to the display area of the current monitor?
    Did you try other Java applications, too?
    pdi-ce user (mostly 4.4)
    java 1.8.0_131 (OpenJDK)
    ubuntu 16.04 LTS (x86_64)
    timezone CET / CEST
    contemplative reading SSCCE
    sig updated 2017-10-20

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    Your adjustments to window sizes are stored when Spoon is closed.
    They settings are ignored when the windows are reopened?
    I never had this problem with my dual monitor setup.

What if you maximize Spoon - is the window size confined to the display area of the current monitor?
    Did you try other Java applications, too?
    I tried adjusting a single window, closing spoon entirely, then reopening that same window and it still opens to the old really large size. The change in settings are ignored as well even with just one monitor (but it doesnt try to go beyond my laptops screen bounds).

Spoon is maximized to one window, but other windows in spoon still open large accross both monitors. If I maximize those windows like my text file input, it does lock to only one screen, but once again as soon as I close it, that maximized state is lost.
    I'm not sure if sql workbench/j is java, but if so, it doesn't save sizes there either.