Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: 4.3.0 Java heap space and closing without warning...

Angry 4.3.0 Java heap space and closing without warning...

so... this seem a lot weird. I've been having errors and more errors around here with a transformation, no idea what could be wrong with it - specially because it was working perfectly last week. I've been having java heap space errors, I've seen Kettle magically dissapearing from my sight - even if I keep my eyes on Process Explorer. Nothing happens, it just shuts down.

Anyone else having this problem? No matter how my times I run it again, or reboot my computer, this keeps happening...
    Join us on IRC! =)

Twitter / Google+ / Timezone: BRT-BRST
    BI Server & PDI 5.4 / MS SQL 2012 / Learning CDE & CTools
    Windows 8 64-bit / Java 7 (jdk1.8.0_75)

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez
    PLEASE NOTE: No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.

I'm no expert.Take my comments at your own risk.

Are you running in spoon? in which case you need to edit the spoon.bat file and replace javaw with java and remove the "start" command. Then you will see the java console and all the gumph that appears. Then; When spoon dies, you'll see an exception in this log window. Paste that exception here..

a) are you update your machine from windows 32 bit to 64 bit?
    b) are you used any previous version befor 4.3.0 , if it is case, better to remove .kettle folder of previous version

please let me know is above cases are occured for you or not?

this issue was faced by me with above scenarios and achived successfully

Thanks
    Last edited by raghavavundavalli; 08-21-2012 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by codek View Post
    Are you running in spoon? in which case you need to edit the spoon.bat file and replace javaw with java and remove the "start" command. Then you will see the java console and all the gumph that appears. Then; When spoon dies, you'll see an exception in this log window. Paste that exception here..
    removed "start", opened a cmd window and ran spoon.bat. It didn't even started:
    Code:
    C:\>"C:\ProgramFiles\pentaho\data-integration\Spoon.bat"DEBUG: Using JAVA_HOME
    DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME=C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre6
    DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA=C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre6\bin\javaw

C:\ProgramFiles\pentaho\data-integration>"Spoon" "C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre6\bin\javaw" "-Xmx768m" "-XX:MaxPermSize=512m" "-Djava.library.path=libswt\win32" "-DKETTLE_HOME=" "-DKETTLE_REPOSITORY=" "-DKETTLE_USER=" "-DKETTLE_PASSWORD=" "-DKETTLE_PLUGIN_PACKAGES=" "-DKETTLE_LOG_SIZE_LIMIT=" -jar launcher\launcher.jar -lib ..\libswt\win32
    DEBUG: Using JAVA_HOME
    DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME=C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre6
    DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA=C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre6\bin\javaw
    =512m""=="" foi inesperado neste momento.
    C:\ProgramFiles\pentaho\data-integration>
    Quote Originally Posted by raghavavundavalli View Post
    a) are you update your machine from windows 32 bit to 64 bit?
    b) are you used any previous version befor 4.3.0 , if it is case, better to remove .kettle folder of previous version

please let me know is above cases are occured for you or not?
    a) 32 bit, no update. company won't change to 64-bit anytime soon.
    b) I did... let me try that.

It still wouldn't run without the "start" command. And running from "cmd" window wouldn't start spoon even with the "start" command. O_o I swear it, I had to run spoon.bat "stand alone", directly from Windows Explorer, for spoon to start again. Anyway, removed .kettle folder, put "start" back where it was, ran spoon.bat from the desktop, everything is running fine so far...
    Join us on IRC! =)

Twitter / Google+ / Timezone: BRT-BRST
    BI Server & PDI 5.4 / MS SQL 2012 / Learning CDE & CTools
    Windows 8 64-bit / Java 7 (jdk1.8.0_75)

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez
    PLEASE NOTE: No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.

I'm no expert.Take my comments at your own risk.