Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Error file in "Text file input" not getting generated

Default Error file in "Text file input" not getting generated

Hello,
    In the text file input step, my error handling is not producing the error file I am specifying. I have read the documentation but couldn't tell whether only the error files directory needs to be specified or the error filename needs to be specified as well. I tried both ways and it did not produce the error file in either case (no error file is getting created). Attaching the screen shot - in case I am missing something obvious to others. The error handling itself is occurring just fine - I am just not being able to produce the error file.

Name:  pentaho_error_handling.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  18.8 KB

Personally, I wouldn't Ignore Errors.
    I'm not sure what you are expecting to happen here, but you might want to look over http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/Text+File+Input

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to write the bad input records into an error file and look at them after my regular load to figure out the issues and send them back to input data provider. I am expecting to receive more than 10 million records every day and don't want my processing to stop because of a few bad lines in input file. I would rather skip those few bad lines during my processing and then later on I want to take a look at the bad input lines using my "error file". I checked the documentation on wiki but couldn't produce my error file based on what I read. Hoping I am missing something obvious here that someone can point out.
    Eventually I'd try to implement my ETL system where I'd stop processing if the number of error records are greater than a certain threshold - but that's for later.

I tried experimenting with Error handling a bit more. I could write out the "Failing line numbers" into a file by providing the same directory, but "Error files directory" is still not working. I am doing this on Kettle 4.2.1.

Can anyone tell if the "Error files directory" is implemented or not? It does nothing for me currently and I saw in another post that this might not be implemented yet. It is under Text file input > Error handling > Error files directory. I am using kettle 4.2.1 enterprise. The checkbox right under it - "Failing line numbers files directory" works fine but not error files directory. Thanks.
    Last edited by Inder; 08-27-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Can anyone fix this bugs? It seem stay there for quite a while, I still face this problem after using Kettle 4.3
    I upload my transformation, someone please tell me which step do I config wrong and how to fix this please.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Inder View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I am trying to write the bad input records into an error file and look at them after my regular load to figure out the issues and send them back to input data provider. I am expecting to receive more than 10 million records every day and don't want my processing to stop because of a few bad lines in input file. I would rather skip those few bad lines during my processing and then later on I want to take a look at the bad input lines using my "error file". I checked the documentation on wiki but couldn't produce my error file based on what I read. Hoping I am missing something obvious here that someone can point out.
    Eventually I'd try to implement my ETL system where I'd stop processing if the number of error records are greater than a certain threshold - but that's for later.
    Hi Inder,

Did you have any luck getting your Transformation to do what you wanted? I have a very similar situation to yours and would also like a solution for this.

Cheers,
    Chris