Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Identifying field error with error handler?

Default Identifying field error with error handler?

So... I'm getting this two errors on my transformation:
    Code:
    java.sql.BatchUpdateException: Data truncationjava.sql.SQLException: Arithmetic overflow error converting float to data type numeric.
    problem is there are too many fields to go through... I thought that enabling error handle on the Table output I'd get the fieldname, but it comes blank, with error code TOP0002, for both of those errors.

Any ideas?
    Join us on IRC! =)

Twitter / Google+ / Timezone: BRT-BRST
    BI Server & PDI 5.4 / MS SQL 2012 / Learning CDE & CTools
    Windows 8 64-bit / Java 7 (jdk1.8.0_75)

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez
    PLEASE NOTE: No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.

I'm no expert.Take my comments at your own risk.

I think the "fieldname" in the error handler depends on the jdbc driver - or in other words on the connected database type.

Running the tranformation with the loglevel "Rowlevel" may help..

Sounds like your transformation is just failing on two rows? What is the data source of your transformation? If this is also a database - try to cast/convert any numeric value on the table input by using SQL - this will normaly return usable error messages.
    Last edited by MichaelBieri; 08-23-2012 at 04:04 PM.

too many fields to easily analyze through metadata.
    I'm using the jdbc driver that comes with PDI 4.3.0 for MS SQL Server
    oh yeah, and loglevel "Rowlevel" renders Spoon almost useless, turning a 2-3h transformation into a 24+h...
    Join us on IRC! =)

Twitter / Google+ / Timezone: BRT-BRST
    BI Server & PDI 5.4 / MS SQL 2012 / Learning CDE & CTools
    Windows 8 64-bit / Java 7 (jdk1.8.0_75)

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez
    PLEASE NOTE: No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.

I'm no expert.Take my comments at your own risk.

Execute it by using kitchen and log to file..

But wait, with the error handler, you should be able to identify the 2 rows that are failing? Why not to filter on these two and run the transformation just with 2 rows?

The JDBC drivers are horribly inefficient with these things indeed. I know it doesn't make you feel any better but in the days when I did Oracle PL/SQL programming it was exactly the same. 15 years of progress but databases are apparently just as stupid as before.