Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Java Stream Closed Error

Default Java Stream Closed Error

Hello,

I have a Job that loops through a list of values, captures a web page with the url based on the list value, writes the web page to a text file, and executes a Shell Script to clean up the data in the file. It has been working fine for many months, but has recently started throwing this error at the Shell step:

(stderr) java.io.IOException: Stream Closed
    at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.read(FileInputStream.java:236)
    at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.readBytes(StreamDecoder.java:282)
    at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.implRead(StreamDecoder.java:324)
    at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(StreamDecoder.java:176)
    at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(InputStreamReader.java:184)
    at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(BufferedReader.java:153)
    at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:316)
    at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:379)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.util.StreamLogger.run(StreamLogger.java:47)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)

From the little I can find on this, it seems like it means the Shell is already running or the connection has been closed already. This does not make sense to me since the shell script that is being run is in the same directory as the Job file, and the Shell should be executed and give a return code before the Job moves on the the next step.

And, it seems to me that the data that is output from this job is good, meaning the error may not be meaningful.

Any ideas what may be happening, and what to do to stop the error?

Thanks.

Could be a race-condition triggered by some external thing (faster/slower disks, faster/slower CPU, network, ...).
    Best is to try to reproduce it or hand it off to Pentaho support for further investigation.
    Also, make sure to either log a case through support or create a JIRA case (if you don't have a support contract).

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't think it is a race-condition, unless I misunderstand how PDI does some tasks. In this Job, the data is collected from an external web site and written to a file on the server, but then all processing is done on the same server after that. I guess I will try to recreate it when I have time and if successful I'll submit a JIRA.