Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Execute row SQL script separator

Default Execute row SQL script separator

Dear all,

I am trying to dynamically execute MULTIPLE SQL statements from a field but am struggling with the SQL statement separator. Namely, my understanding of "SQL script" is MULTIPLE statements, which begs the question about the statement separator. I tried ';' but the step complains upon execution (invalid character). I am using an Oracle database. I have checked the documentation but couldn't find any pertinent info.
    As long as I have a single SQL statement with no terminator (i.e. ';') everything works fine.

Many thanks,

Ichi

What's in a name?

"Execute row SQL script" actually does execute a "statement".
    If you must have multiple statements in a single field, you can try to let the query processor decompose the string into single statements.
    MySQL, for example, provides a server option MYSQL_OPTION_MULTI_STATEMENTS_ON for this, I recall.
    Oracle might be able to execute a batch of statements, if you wrap them up in BEGIN END - not sure, though.
    When everything else fails, you can use a "Split field to rows" step before the SQL step.

PS: MYSQL Connector/J does support the option "allowMultiQueries". Check your Oracle driver documentation.
    Last edited by marabu; 09-03-2012 at 01:18 AM.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by ichipow View Post
    Dear all,

I am trying to dynamically execute MULTIPLE SQL statements from a field but am struggling with the SQL statement separator. Namely, my understanding of "SQL script" is MULTIPLE statements, which begs the question about the statement separator. I tried ';' but the step complains upon execution (invalid character). I am using an Oracle database. I have checked the documentation but couldn't find any pertinent info.
    As long as I have a single SQL statement with no terminator (i.e. ';') everything works fine.

Many thanks,

Ichi
    Thanks for the prompt reply! Actually, I daisy-chained two Execute row SQL script steps, each step executing a single SQL statement.