Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Scripts for reading input tables of a database in Pentaho

Default Scripts for reading input tables of a database in Pentaho

I read adatabase which contains 3000 tables as table input in Pentaho. I extract manually this 3000 Tables withPentaho, but this is very complex.
    Do you knowan alternative in Pentaho to extract automatically the 3000 tables from thedatabase via a script or via other methods?

Sure, create a job.
    First execute a job which gets the list of tables from the database, copies the rows to result.
    Then you execute a job (job entry has option: execute for every result rows, looping over each table) which has a parameter called TABLE_NAME. You can pass the result row field containing the table name in the parameter section (use 4.3.0 for that).
    So each time the job is executed a ${TABLE_NAME} parameter is set.
    That means you can read : SELECT * FROM ${TABLE_NAME} in a Table Input step and you can dump them to file ${TABLE_NAME}.txt and so on.

There are other, more advanced things to do as well but start with this.

Thank you for your prompt answer. Let me describe my problem further detailled.
    I have a MS-SQL-Server Database, which contains 3000 tables. This 3000 tables have to be migrated into a new Oracle-Database. In which way can I automatically extract this 3000 tables from MS-SQL-Server and migrate them into the new Oracle-Database via Pentaho? Do you know a script or another method to extract and migrate this 3000 tables from the source-database (MS-SQL-Server) into the target database (Oracle) ?

Best regards
    Jochen