Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Details regarding Protovis and Ctools

Default Details regarding Protovis and Ctools

Hi

I had BI 4.5 trial version installed. Well, I need information regarding protovis and ctools. Some of my Queries are:
    1. Is protovis already installed in 4.5? If yes then is it installed only in 4.5 and for earlier versions was it a plugin that required to be installed separately?
    2. Ctools >> CDE>> CDA all this are required to be installed in 4.5? I downloaded the jar file of CDE and installeld it. But that did not make any difference in my pentaho user console of 4.5. I did not find any thing like Create CDE dashboard.
    3. How to acess Ctools or protovis after installing their plugins?

Thanks

Check out the "ctools-installer". This will install the latest version of everything you need - then you'll see the CDE icons etc appear in the console. You may also want to check out the ambient BI CDE tutorials which came out this week - they will guide you through everything you need to know!

Hi Codek,

Thanks for you response. Howevr as mentioned in my point no.2 I said i already installed jar file of CDE but that did nt make any difference to user console.. why is that?
    and pls let me know info of protovis too

because either you didnt use the installer script, so it didnt install properly, or you havent refreshed your repo and restarted your server.
    Use the script; It'll work. Do it manually and you'll have troubles.

Hi cdoek,

I downloaded the ctools-installer.sh script. I have windows machine and hence to run this script i downloaded and installed cygwin. No when I am trying to run the below command in cygwin it throws error ERROR: Supplied solution path is not a directory
    the command i used is:
    ./ctools-installer.sh -s /cygdrive/c/Program Files/pentaho/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions -w /cygdrive/c/Program Files/pentaho/biserver-ee/tomcat/webapps/pentaho

please let me know what is missing in this command? thanks for ur help. Please let me know details of protovis too

Thanks again

take a google around - someone wrote a blog about how to use the ctools installer on cygwin. It works fine - I've used it on windows too - so your problem is in your local environment. (actually looks like you havent quoted the solution path, which clearly is mandatory as it has spaces in it )

hi codek,

I added quotes to the command but still its not working. I found the blog too but it did nt help. can u please tell me exactly how to apply quotes. I tried this:
    ./ctools-installer.sh -s "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions" -w "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/tomcat/webapps/pentaho"

I am getting following error:

./ctools-installer.sh: line 111: [: too many arguments
    ./ctools-installer.sh: line 113: [: too many arguments
    which: no wget in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/oracle10g/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/bin:/cygdrive/f/oracle11g/app/user/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/ThinkPad Wireless LAN Adapter Software:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Java/jdk1.6.0/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Tomcat5.5/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/ant 1.6.5/bin)
    ERROR: Missing required 'wget' command.

hi codek,

I finally could install ctools thru cygwin. i got done message too. I restarted the repo also. But still i cannot see Create CDE dashboard in user console. :'(. Is this related to BI 4.5 verson? Does this version does not support Ctools?

Yes it's supported. Ctools work fine for me in BI Server 4.5. 4.5 isn't exactly new either.

ok.. so is it because my trial version has expired and hence it is not reflecting the ctools installation in user console?

If you're using EE with an expired trial, nothing will work. There's no licensing in ctools
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

Hi pmalves,

happy to see your reply.. However, i would like to inform that though i got a mail that trial version has expired, I am still able to access user console,enterprise console etc.. Isn't it strange? Why am i still allowed to do so if the trial period has expired.??

Pelase let me know.

Thanks again

Hi,

One more update.. I installed ctools on another m/c which has pentaho bi 4.5 and which is not expired. Howevr, even though I am not able to see anything related to Ctools in User console.. No why is this happening?? :'(

Ctools installed properly,trial version is active and still nothing like create cde dashboard in penthao user console.. .. please let me know the reason

permissions ? are the folders created in pentaho-solutions/system/ ? did you restart ?
    there is no reason why they would not appear.

hi,

Under system folder i can see only pentaho-cdf folder and rest other folders,but no folders like cda,cde etc.. and which permissions are u talking about?can u please elaborate more?

Can u also tell how to check whether ctools is installed properly?

Hi,

yes you should have a pentaho-cdf-dd folder a CDA folder and some other folders.
    The c-tools installer promts these folders when installing. so this means the installer failed to install c-tools properly
    Try using it again and see if you get any errors.
    Also do not use a trailing \ when giving the solutions folder parameter. the installer ads a \ for the folders.

Hope you get further now
    Hans

Hi,

I tried installing the ctools again.. Below is the complete thing:

user@user-3b2983732d /cygdrive/e/pmalves-ctools-installer-8b08fda
    $ ./ctools-installer.sh -s "/cygdrive/c/program files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions" -w "/cygdrive/c/program files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/tomcat/webapps/pentaho"

CTOOLS

ctools-installer version 1.37

Author: Pedro Alves (webdetails)
    Thanks to Analytical Labs for jenkins builds
    Copyright Webdetails 2011

Changelog:

v1.37 - plugin-samples/cdv was not deleted. Fixed
    v1.36 - CDV now installs samples too
    v1.35 - Support for stable CDV, CDC and CDB installation
    v1.34 - Support for CDV installation using -b dev switch
    v1.33 - Added support for Saiku ad hoc stable (release) installations.
    v1.32 - Added windows cr tolerance for this script's auto update
    v1.31 - Support for CDB installation using -b dev switch
    v1.30 - Support for CDC installation using -b dev switch
    v1.29 - Changed saiku download path to 2.3
    v1.28 - Support for CGG in 4.5, where webapp path is no longer required
    v1.27 - Added support for CGG stable ( release ) installations.
    v1.26 - -y flag now also works for ctools-installer update. ctools-installer update is now automated - Thanks to Mark Reid.
    v1.25 - Removed overwrite, explicitly deleting marketplace definition
    v1.24 - Added force overwrite to unzip to phase out overwrite confirmation
    v1.23 - CDF trunk installation change due to js publish
    v1.22 - Changed saiku download path to 2.2
    v1.21 - Added support for CDE stable (release) installations.
    v1.20 - CDF new samples location updated to stable installation.
    v1.19 - Corrected installCDF and installCDE to remove samples dir before installing
    v1.18 - CDA samples installation to plugin-samples also in stable mode.
    v1.17 - Change to CDA and CDE samples installation. Now installs to folder plugin-samples instead of bi-developers (for trunk snapshot only).
    v1.16 - Added support for CDC and Saiku-adhoc installation - for now only available in dev/trunk mode.
    v1.15 - Change to CDF samples installation. Now installs to folder plugin-samples instead of bi-developers (for trunk snapshot only).
    v1.14 - Added support for CDF stable (release) installations.
    v1.13 - Fixed issue in CGG download
    v1.12 - Fixed typo in -Y option
    v1.11 - Added support for -y option (assume yes) - Thanks to Christian G. Warden
    v1.10 - Added support for Saiku trunk snapshots installations.
    v1.9 - Added support for CDA stable (release) installations.
    v1.8 - Added CGG; Script refactor
    v1.7 - Changed url locations to new path of analytical labs
    v1.6 - Changed saiku download path to 2.1
    v1.5 - Changed default indicator values in prompts
    v1.4 - Added Saiku for the list of installs
    v1.3 - Added support for automatic updates
    v1.2 - Silent mode for downloading
    v1.1 - Minor bugfixes
    v1.0 - First release

Disclaimer: we can't be responsible for any damage done to your system, which hopefully will not happen
    Note: ctools-installer.sh will upgrade the plugins under system directory.
    Any changes you have made there (eg: cdf templates) will have to be backed up and manually copied after running the script
    CGG will need to change the server WEB-INF/lib too. Backup your server

./ctools-installer.sh: line 111: [: too many arguments
    ./ctools-installer.sh: line 113: [: too many arguments

Install CDF? This will delete everything in /cygdrive/c/program files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/system/pentaho-cdf. you sure? (y/N) y

Install CDA? This will delete everything in /cygdrive/c/program files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/system/cda. you sure? (y/N) y

Install CDE? This will delete everything in /cygdrive/c/program files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/system/pentaho-cdf-dd. you sure? (y/N) y

Install CGG? This will delete everything in /cygdrive/c/program files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/system/cgg. you sure? (y/N) y

No webapp path provided, will not install CDC

Install CDB? This will delete everything in /cygdrive/c/program files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/system/cdb. you sure? (y/N) y

Install CDV? This will delete everything in /cygdrive/c/program files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/system/cdv. you sure? (y/N) y

Install Saiku? This will delete everything in /cygdrive/c/program files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/system/saiku. you sure? (y/N) y

Install Saiku Adhoc? This will delete everything in /cygdrive/c/program files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/system/saiku-adhoc. you sure? (y/N) y

Downloading files

Downloading CDF... Done
    Downloading CDA... Done
    Downloading CDE... Done
    Downloading CGG... Done
    Downloading CDB... Done
    Downloading CDV... Done
    Downloading Saiku... Done
    Downloading Saiku Adhoc... Done

Installing files

caution: filename not matched: files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/system/
    ./ctools-installer.sh: line 307: [: /cygdrive/c/program: binary operator expected
    ./ctools-installer.sh: line 312: [: /cygdrive/c/program: binary operator expected
    caution: filename not matched: files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/plugin-samples/
    caution: filename not matched: files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/system/
    ./ctools-installer.sh: line 307: [: /cygdrive/c/program: binary operator expected
    ./ctools-installer.sh: line 312: [: /cygdrive/c/program: binary operator expected
    caution: filename not matched: files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/plugin-samples
    caution: filename not matched: files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/plugin-samples

[CGG] No webapp path provided, if you are using pentaho older than 4.5 cgg will not work properly)
    caution: filename not matched: files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/plugin-samples/

Done!

Can u please put light on:
    1. webapp path not provided: i did provide the webapp path
    2. binary operator expected>> what is the exact thing required in the command.can u please chk the command and tell me...

Thanks

are you sure you have the correct packages ?
    I have no experience with a windows installation.
    follow these steps correctly http://codeissue.com/articles/a04e87...c-using-cygwin and it should work.

Hello, just a quick post as Im just passing through. I remember having issues installing ctools with cygwin because of the folder name program files i think i had to mount the directory as one with a shorter name (no spaces) then use that path when installing. Not sure if that helps

Hi,

Hansva>> I have already followed the steps from codeissue.. However there is space in "Program Files" which is a problem.. Someone in this posts had said you need ot use quotes.. but no one replied how and where to use the quotes..

Bob>> How to mount the directory as one with a shorter name (no spaces)?? I have no idea about this.. please can u tell.. ??

I tried using the command as given below: the way it is suggested in cygwin faq in accessing directory with spaces in name, but no luck the ctools is still not installed.
    ./ctools-installer.sh -s /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions -w /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/pentaho/server/biserver-ee/tomcat/webapps/pentaho

its giving the same error:

Too fed up with this installation

make a shared folder of your server folder.
    then mount it on a drive. then you can do /cygdrive/z/server or something like that.
    other option is to start using linux wich I would suggest in the long run anyway...
    because it has to do with the space in the folder name ...

hi Hansva,

I tried doing this too. I create shared folder of "server" folder and mapped it to a drive Y: .And tried to run the script as:
    ./ctools-installer.sh -s /cygdrive/y/server/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions -w /cygdrive/y/server/biserver-ee/tomcat/webapps/pentaho

It gives
    ERROR: Supplied solution path is not a directory

I also tried this:
    ./ctools-installer.sh -s /cygdrive/y/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions -w /cygdrive/y/biserver-ee/tomcat/webapps/pentaho

But it also gievs the same error...
    What next ? ? I dnt have linus machine I have to install on Windows only.. please help