Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Kettle crashes because of "This file doesn't exist" error

Angry Kettle crashes because of "This file doesn't exist" error

Hello,

Context:
    I was looking over some of the sample transformation files that Kettle 4.2.0 comes with. In particular I was looking at User Defined Java Class - Real-time search on Twitter.ktr. I also had a transformation of mine open that is stored in a MySQL repository. My transformation has a 'User Defined Java Class' step which failed to save for some reason and Kettle suggested that I created a copy with 'Save as' it later informed me that Kettle had become unstable. I saved my transformation and ignored the 'save changes?' of the other open transformations (the samples).

Problem:
    When I open Kettle, it loads, and prompts me to select my Repository. I select it and Kettle starts to load the previously open transformations, but fails to load the User Defined Java Class - Real-time search on Twitter.ktr file and then shuts down without any further information (See attached screenshot). The file exists in my file system in the same location it was before the problem.

Name:  kettle file not found error.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  20.6 KB

The java version i was running at the time of the problem is (i have since then updated to 1.6.0_35):
    java version "1.6.0_33"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_33-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.8-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

Question:
    How do I make Kettle forget the recently opened files? Why does Kettle fail so miserably on a 'file not found' error? How can I keep working?

Thanks

Simply editing or removing $HOME/.kettle/.spoonrc solves the first issue.
    I have no idea about the second issue. However, it's always nice to see a JIRA case (bug report) for this.