Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Special character in DBF file column

Default Special character in DBF file column

Hi,

I've got the bad luck because of reading DBF files and having the need of importing data from them, and there's a column with a special character which I can read and appears correctly in a windows system. The server is a linux system and kettle is reading the file correctly but it's mispelling the name of the column because of the special char.
    I get the error: "Field [AÃO_PROV] is required and couldn't be found!" while the name of the column is "AÑO_PROV"

In some way kettle is using another character set internally.

I had problems with dates and I realized that linux was using en_US.UTF-8 language, so I changed to es_ES.utf8 and then solved the dates problem, but it's not the solution for the special character problem.

Anyone knows how can I solve that?

thanks a lot

What is your ODBC / FreeTDS "client charset" setting?
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hi,

I don't think the problem is the characterset on the source level because the xbase step reads perfectly the column's name, the problem is in the table output step when I map the source (AÑO) table with the destination table (ANYO). That's way I suspect it's related to kettle charset.

Java internal encoding is UTF-16. That's what Spoon uses.

You don't have any issues with the data, I understand.
    You are troubled by the field names containing special characters.
    Well, it is trouble to be expected, since the recommendation was to only use US-ASCII characters for dBase metadata.

If you really suspect the Table Output step, you could toss in a Select Values step to rename that bad column name.

Thanks for reply,

I tried that but still not working. The problem is the name of that column in the kettle flow, whereever I put that column name it fails. I know it's silly but It's something I've come up. But, I insist, it's working in windows and failing in unix so there's something inside kettle which is causing the difference.

I wonder if you could provide such a DBF file for inspection?

You could remove all but one record and obfuscate the values where necessary.