Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Combining CDE and CDF to allow configurable charts with global controls

Default Combining CDE and CDF to allow configurable charts with global controls

Hi,

I'm currently working on a project in which I'd like to achieve the following:

1. To have a consistently styled base template with navigation and a set of global standard filters to apply to charts.
    2. To allow this base template to be set as a "style" to use within the CDE such that all CDE dashboards inherit the navigation and global filters.
    3. To allow the global filters to "talk" to the charts within the CDE dashboards and refresh the displayed data according to the specified filter values.

As far as I can tell, to achieve this the underlying template and the loaded CDE dashboard would have to share some state information that could be modified via the global filters and then hooked into the CDE when something like a Dashboards.processChange call was made.

I currently have a partially completed base template that supports the required navigation component and filtering input components (but not the event handling for changes made to the filters) which seems to be working correctly as a style for the CDE.

What I'd like to know is whether there's some standardised approach to achieving this? Is there a built-in mechanism for doing this, or will I need to resort to hacks within the CDE do be able to do it? I've seen examples using the CDE, and examples using the CDF, but not much in the way of this sort of coupling. Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: spelling ><
    Last edited by FatConan; 09-03-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Hi,

The dashboard and the template are running in the same context, so you should be able to wire your filters to call Dashboards.fireChange(parameter, value) whenever the filter changes. That will trigger the change in a dashboard parameter and the appropriate refresh.
    Pedro Vale
    --
    CTools Product Development
    http://www.webdetails.pt