Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Run PDI as a webapp that accepts uploaded files from the browser?

Default Run PDI as a webapp that accepts uploaded files from the browser?

I'd like to know if it's possible to run PDI as an on-demand service, which runs inside Tomcat and accepts input in the form of uploaded files submitted from a user's browser.

Our end users will extract monthly reports from their source system, and then we need to run PDI ETL to import the data into our data warehouse. We are a SaaS provider, so the users aren't on our local network. The simple (but labor-intensive and time-consuming) solution is for users to email their reports to us, and then we will copy the files onto the ETL server and process them there. I'd like to cut out the middleman, namely us.

Is there a method to do this, preferably without the Pentaho BI Server? We are running PDI 4.2.1-GA.

First: the mail attachments can be popped and saved automatically so it doesn't have to be labor intensive nor time consuming.

Providing a file upload facility for your SaaS users seems logical but that really needs to be part of you web application, not something that PDI should do.

Matt, thanks for the quick reply. I saw the "Email messages input" step yesterday while poking around, and it looks like it might work for us. Unfortunately, there is no documentation link for the step on http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/...egration+Steps, but I'll see if I can figure it out.

Correction - the job entry is documented but the transformation step is not. The job entry documentation in http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/Get+Mails+from+POP doesn't mention that IMAP works, but it's offered in the job entry, and I was able to make it work. It was actually pretty easy. Thanks!