Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Do I need a license to connect with enterprise repository via pentaho java api?

Default Do I need a license to connect with enterprise repository via pentaho java api?

Hello everyone...

Brief introduction:
    I have the following licenses, properly installed and not yet expired:
    - Pentaho Analysis Enterprise Edition
    - Pentaho BI Platform Enterprise Edition
    - Pentaho Dashboard Designer
    - Pentaho PDI Enterprise Edition

I’m trying to remotely invoke a job, saved on the enterprise repository, from a java class, using the pentaho java API.
    Immediately after connecting with the repository I get the following exception:
    Code:
    Exception in thread "main" org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleException:
    com.pentaho.commons.dsc.c: license missing, invalid, or expired
    license missing, invalid, or expired

at org.pentaho.di.repository.pur.PurRepository.connect(SourceFile:307)
         at com.ExecuteGenericJob.main(ExecuteGenericJob.java:71)
    Caused by: com.pentaho.commons.dsc.c: license missing, invalid, or expired
         at com.pentaho.commons.dsc.g.a(SourceFile:48)
    On the tomcat DI server stdout log I read the following lines:

Code:
    INFO  19-09 10:44:13,474 - RepositoriesMeta - Reading repositories XML file: C:\.kettle\repositories.xml
    java.lang.Throwable: Missing, invalid, or expired product license: Pentaho Hadoop Enterprise Edition
    ERROR 19-09 10:44:13,544 - Error loading plugin: HIVE/Hadoop Hive{class org.pentaho.di.core.plugins.DatabasePluginType}
    org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettlePluginException: 
    Unexpected error loading class:
    Missing, invalid, or expired product license: Pentaho Hadoop Enterprise Edition

at org.pentaho.di.core.plugins.PluginRegistry.loadClass(PluginRegistry.java:381)
                   ….
    Caused by: java.lang.Throwable: Missing, invalid, or expired product license: Pentaho Hadoop Enterprise Edition
    Question:
    do you know if I really need the Hadoop enterprise license to remotely connect with the enterprise repository using pentaho java api, or any other license in addition to the ones I have? Otherwise it would be my configuration mistake.
    Note that the job I’m invoking is a very simple job and neither it nor its inner transformation use any hadoop step.
    Note also that if I connect to the enterprise repository through spoon and I launch through spoon the job saved on the enterprise repository, everything goes fine and I don’t obtain any exception.

Thanks to all.

Simply put: yes.

I checked out. The answer is not.
    To avoid the problem described before it is necessary to define the system variable "pentaho.installed.licenses.file" with the path of the .installedLicenses.xml as value.
    So it is sufficient to add an instruction like the following, near the beginning of our java class:
    System.setProperty(“pentaho.installed.licenses.file”, “[right_path]\.installedLicenses.xml”);
    The value of this variable must be the same of the essential environment variable PENTAHO_INSTALLED_LICENSE_PATH.
    No Hadoop licenses are needed.

Well, that doesn't sound too bad :-)