Thread: Order() method in MDX

Default Order() method in MDX

Hi,
    I am not sure, if have posted this on the right forum. Anyways,

I have a simple MDX query,

SELECT order([Measures].[Purchase],ASC) ON COLUMNS,
    [Date].[Week].Members ON ROWS
    FROM [Cube_Stock]

for which I am getting the error message, MondrianException: Mondrian Error:No function matches signature 'order(, )'

Is the order() method supported? If yes, why am getting this message. and if no, How do I sort the values?

Thanks in Advance.

Hi,
    the correct query is:

SELECT {[Measures].[Purchase]} ON COLUMNS,
    Order({[Date].[Week].Members}, [Measures].[Purchase], ASC) ON ROWS
    FROM [Cube_Stock]

Thank you.Lukolap..Thank you so much..Its working now.
    For any one who has got problem with Order(), please refer the following link for the syntax:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms145587.aspx

Hi, I have a similar problem: I tried to order the result of a MDX query that was written by another person (and I cannot contact him).
    The query is the following one:

SELECT
    NON EMPTY {Hierarchize({[Elemento].[Elemento].Members})} ON COLUMNS,
    NON EMPTY
    CrossJoin([N. Acc].[N. Acc].Members, CrossJoin([Data prelievo].[Data prelievo].Members,
    CrossJoin([N. colata].[N. colata].Members, [Forno].[Forno].Members))) ON ROWS
    FROM [SALab1]
    WHERE
    Crossjoin(Crossjoin({[Elementi preferito.Codice preferito].[${preferito}]},
    {[Calendario.Anno].[${anno}]}), {[Calendario.Mese].[${mese}]})

now, I wish to order the result of this query by "Data Prelievo", descending order, so i've tried to do this:

select
    NON EMPTY {Hierarchize({[Elemento].[Elemento].Members})} ON COLUMNS,
    NON EMPTY(ORDER(Crossjoin([N. Acc].[N. Acc].Members, Crossjoin([Data prelievo].[Data prelievo].Members, Crossjoin([N. colata].[N. colata].Members, [Forno].[Forno].Members))), [Data prelievo].[Data prelievo].Members, DESC)) ON ROWS
    from
    [SALab1]
    where
    Crossjoin(Crossjoin({[Elementi preferito.Codice preferito].[${preferito}]}, {[Calendario.Anno].[${anno}]}), {[Calendario.Mese].[${mese}]})

but, as AchuthanExelixir, I got the message: "Mondrian Error:No function matches signature 'order(, ,)'.

What did I do wrong? (It's my first time with MDX query, I looked for online tutorials and docs, but they don't explain it very well).
    Thanks for your help, regards
    Last edited by newbie_; 08-21-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Looks like your ORDER function is defined w/ a fat nested CJ as the first arg and [Date prelievo].Members as your second arg. The second arg should be a numeric expression, not a set expression.

Thanks for your reply mcampbell.
    As I said, I'm new to MDX query, I searched on the web but the only thing I found is the syntax of ORDER statement.
    I tried to write the new query as you can see in my old post, so can you explain me how to change that query to fix it?
    Thank you very much and sorry if my reply comes so late.

The second parameter tells the Order() function what to order by. Typically that will be a Measure reference, and the set will be ordered based on the measure values. So you probably want to swap the [Date prelievo].Members reference in your order function w/ a numeric value that you actually want to order by.

HTH

Thanks for your answer. I want to order the result by date, in descending order, so the result will show the newest value and gradually the older ones, until you have the older one as the last value of all.
    The property I would like to use to order the result is [Data prelievo], and I have no idea what is the numerical value of it, because it depends by the source that the user choose.
    I hope to was being able to explain the problem.
    Regards,
    newbie_

Typically Date dimensions are defined in such a way that they are automatically sorted in date ascending order. Because of this, a set like [Time].[Month].members will be sorted w/o need to wrap in Order().
    Take a look at http://mondrian.pentaho.com/document...er_and_Display.

If this still isn't getting at your question, maybe you could provide an example of the output you'd like to get.

Thanks for the answer.
    I'll try to find out a solution based on your suggestions, if I cannot resolve the problem I'll post you an example of the output.
    Thank a lot,
    newbie_