Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Problem with update query while updating an oracle table

Default Problem with update query while updating an oracle table

Hi,

I am new to PDI. Currently using PDI version 4.3.0. I am able to connect with oracle database and able to execute 'SELECT' query thru table input step.
    But when i tried to use an update query (very simple update - a table with 2 columns and 10 rows and even first column being a primary key) the update step runs for long time. Not doing the update.

Pls help me to come out of this issue..

Thanks,
    Thana

Hi ,

Please tell me where you are using the update query ??
    Table Input step is meant for fetching the values. you cannot run an update query inside that.

I am using update step. Also tried with Execute SQL script step. Both not working.( means running for long time but no update happens).

Could anyone tell me what are all the jars required for communiating with Oracle db from PDI?

Thanks,
    Thana

Someone pls help me to come out of the below mentioned issue..

we are facing similar issue but not with 10 records, problem with lakhs of records in our scenario. in our case we are using user defined functions and stored procedure to update our data(this logic is purly different than your scenario).

we have done so many updated using kettle 4.3.0 version, not yet faced issue with 10 records with 2 columns . please check indexes on your columns it may be helpful.

Thanks for the reply.. I created index and tried the same update.. still have the same update query problem..

Earlier I downloaded ojdbc14.jar and orai18n.jar and placed inside ..\data-integration\libext\JDBC folder. After that only I could able to create successful connection with Oracle DB. But Update query is not running.

Could u pls let me know what jars you placed inside ..\data-integration\libext\JDBC folder for connecting with Oracle?. Also let me know the path from where to download the jars.

Thanks,
    Thana

Have you tried the Update/Insert step instead of the Update step?

My issue is solved

The problem with my secenario might be:

I ran an update query in Oracle directly and didnt give commit. Because of this, When I tried to run the same update query in another session( opened by PDI) it was just waiting for the other session for the commit and keep on running (May be because of 'resource busy' error).

Thanks for all your comments...

Thana