Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Logging interactive reports

Default Logging interactive reports

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's a way to activate logging for interactive reports like in mondrian. I'd like to log the executing query and the reponse times for different phases like executing query time and server processing time.

Is it possible? how?

thanks a lot

Hi ,
    You can save your prpti report and then try running it. Try setting these options mentioned by Thomas Morgner in this blog,

http://www.sherito.org/2011/05/perfo...tuning-in.html
    Regards,
    Madhu

Hi,

thanks for quick reply, but I'm trying to log an interactive report made in the user console, not a report designer report.

thanks

Hi,

I am talking about the same.
    Regards,
    Madhu

Trust Madhu, he knows what he is talking about.

Set the settings from my blog-post in the global 'classic-engine.properties' file in the WEB-INF/classes directory. Then *any* report that gets run by the reporting engine will dump performance data into the log, regardless of how you invoked it - PRPT(i), PIR, WAQR or XAction-reports will all be covered. You may have to enable logging on the PerformanceProgress-logger via the log4j-configuration.

Saving the report as PRPT will help with the logging as you can correlate the performance log with the audit log. It is harder to do the same for interactive reports that have not been saved yet.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Hi,
    Ok, sorry I misunderstood the post, but how do I enable the PerformanceProgress-logger? do you mean as a Category in the log4J.xml?

thanks
    Last edited by Bronson; 10-24-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Hi,

I added this to the log4j.xml:

<appender name="LOG_ALL" class="org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.PerformanceProgressLogger">
    <param name="File" value="C:/Archivos de programa/Pentaho_410/server/biserver-ee/logs/pentaho_all.log"/>
    <param name="Append" value="false"/>

<layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
    <!-- The default pattern: Date Priority [Category] Message\n -->
    <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{ABSOLUTE} %-5p [%c{1}] %m%n"/>
    </layout>
    </appender>

and then this to the classic-engine.properties:

org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.ProfileReportProcessing=true
    org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.performance.LogPageProgress=true
    org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.performance.LogLevelProgress=true
    org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.performance.LogRowProgress=true
    org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.DebugDataSources=true
    org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.ProfileDataSources=true

But It's not logging anything. What's wrong? Do I need to add a category? What category?

thanks a lot
    Last edited by Bronson; 10-29-2012 at 01:05 PM.

<appender name="LOG_ALL" class="org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.PerformanceProgressLogger">
    is wrong. PerformanceProcessLogger is not a Log4J implementation. We *USE* log4J, but we do not implement any of their framework stuff.

So remove the appender definition, it is not working anyway. Your existing log4j config should be totally fine. Just tell log4j in what messages you are interested in.
    You need to configure a category element to tell Log4J which messages to log and which to filter out.

Code:
      <category name="org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.PerformanceProgressLogger">
        <priority value="DEBUG"/>
      </category>

<category name="org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.cache.CachingDataFactory">
        <priority value="DEBUG"/>
      </category>
    Your log4j.xml file should already contain several of these categories, just add them to it.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Hi Taqua, Thanks for your quick reply!

I tried in local server (pentaho 4.1.0) and it worked perfectly. But I tried in remote server (4.5.0) and it's not writing anyting in the pentaho.log or in the system.out under /pentaho/server/biserver-ee/tomcat/logs. I copied exactly the same lines in both files. Is there any change with 4.5.0 version related to logging?

I've got another question, the system.out log is getting bigger and bigger, how can I manage that as the pentaho.log in several files?

thanks a lot