Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: xmla error with pentaho 4.8

Default xmla error with pentaho 4.8

I have installed pentaho 4.8 on ubuntu 12.04 64 bit .
    If i work with olap cube with saiku or jpivot all is gone well .
    If i try to get the data of the olap cube through a xmla client I get the following error

at org.springframework.security.ui.SpringSecurityFilter.doFilter(SpringSecurityFilter.java:53)
    at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:390)
    at org.springframework.security.ui.AbstractProcessingFilter.doFilterHttp(AbstractProcessingFilter.java:278)
    at org.springframework.security.ui.SpringSecurityFilter.doFilter(SpringSecurityFilter.java:53)
    at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:390)
    at org.springframework.security.ui.logout.LogoutFilter.doFilterHttp(LogoutFilter.java:89)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.security.HttpSessionReuseDetectionFilter.doFilter(HttpSessionReuseDetectionFilter.java:134)
    at org.springframework.security.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.doFilterHttp(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.java:235)
    at org.springframework.security.wrapper.SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilterHttp(SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:91)
    at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:175)
    at org.springframework.security.util.FilterToBeanProxy.doFilter(FilterToBeanProxy.java:99)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.filters.SystemStatusFilter.doFilter(SystemStatusFilter.java:60)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.filters.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:113)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
    at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:470)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:859)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:602)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.servlet.PentahoXmlaServlet$3.getConnection(PentahoXmlaServlet.java:250)
    at mondrian.xmla.XmlaHandler.getConnection(XmlaHandler.java:2939)
    at mondrian.xmla.XmlaHandler.getConnection(XmlaHandler.java:175)
    at mondrian.xmla.Rowset.populate(Rowset.java:218)
    at mondrian.xmla.Rowset.unparse(Rowset.java:193)
    at mondrian.xmla.XmlaHandler.discover(XmlaHandler.java:2861)
    ... 65 more

seems to be a bug and also quite serious
    if i repeat the same operation with a pentaho 4.5 on ubuntu 64 bit all is gone well .
    is there any workaround or patch that fixes the problem ?
    thanks for any answer

The error is due to the fact that fails the creation of an instance MondrianCatalogHelper .
    I installed Pentaho 4.8 on Ubuntu 12.04 server using the instance of tomcat installed from the repositories .
    I did not use the instance of tomcat contained in the binary distribution of Pentaho .
    The problem therefore depends on the installation of tomcat .
    I opened a thread on the topic BI platform on the subject .

Please put all this information in a Jira ticket and we will check it out.

http://jira.pentaho.com
    Luc Boudreau
    aka. Luc le Magnifique
    aka. Monsieur Oui Oui

Lead Engineer, Pentaho Corporation
    Web: http://devdonkey.blogspot.com
    Twitter: luclemagnifique
    IRC: Monsieur_Oui_Oui@freenode

i have opened the jira ticket BISERVER-8329

I have commented some code in PentahoXmlaServlet ( see commented init - commented end ) and now the connection via XML/A is working .
    i think the error is due to the fact that fails the creation of an instance MondrianCatalogHelper but i don't undetsand the reason .

// Now let the delegate connection factory do its magic.
    //if (catalogName == null)
    return
    delegate.getConnection(
    databaseName,
    catalogName,
    roleName.equals("")
    ? null
    : roleName,
    props);
    /* commented init
    else {
    //We create a connection differently so we can ensure that
    //the XMLA servlet shares the same MondrianServer instance as the rest
    //of the platform
    MondrianCatalog mc = org.pentaho.platform.plugin.action.mondrian.catalog.MondrianCatalogHelper.getInstance().getCatalog(catalogName,
    PentahoSessionHolder.getSession());

Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection(mc.getDataSourceInfo() + ";Catalog=" + mc.getDefinition(), makeCatalogLocator(servletConfig));

MondrianServer server = MondrianServer.forConnection(con);
    FileRepository fr = new FileRepository(makeContentFinder(makeDataSourcesUrl(servletConfig)), makeCatalogLocator(servletConfig));
    return fr.getConnection(server, databaseName, catalogName, roleName, props);
    } commented end */