Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: CDC - Why (oh why) is cache not being used??

Default CDC - Why (oh why) is cache not being used??

I am having the same issue as was posted by another user in the Mondrian thread last November, but with no response.

I installed CTools successfully. I configured CDC using these directions: https://github.com/webdetails/cdc
    My CDC cluster seems to be running. I can add additional nodes and see them via the CDC plugin in the Pentaho web console UI.
    But nothing is being sent to the cluster. Cache memory use remains stubbornly at 0% no matter what I try.

For reference this is the other unanswered query.
    http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...External-Cache

Thanks in advance, this is causing me some pain...

*Nudge*

Anyone at all have any insight on this...? (Thanks again.)

Quote Originally Posted by mgold View Post
    I am having the same issue as was posted by another user in the Mondrian thread last November, but with no response.

I installed CTools successfully. I configured CDC using these directions: https://github.com/webdetails/cdc
    My CDC cluster seems to be running. I can add additional nodes and see them via the CDC plugin in the Pentaho web console UI.
    But nothing is being sent to the cluster. Cache memory use remains stubbornly at 0% no matter what I try.

For reference this is the other unanswered query.
    http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...External-Cache

Thanks in advance, this is causing me some pain...

Thumbs down CDC is not working on Pentaho Ce 4.8.0 (at least for me)

Hi mgold,

I've the same problem, no resolution yet but those are my findings:

I use Pentaho CE 4.8.0. After CDC installation, no matter if using ctool-installer.sh or Marketplace, the cluster is running but Mondrian is not aware of it.

Mondrian has an extensible architecture for Segment Cache. Cache provider should implement mondrian.spi.SegmentCache, and CDC provides pt.webdetails.cdc.mondrian.SegmentCacheHazelcast class which implements the interface (I inspected CDC source code)

To let Mondrian be aware of CDC, I modified <pentaho-home>/biserver-ce/pentaho-solutions/system/mondrian/mondrian.properties adding:
    mondrian.rolap.SegmentCache=pt.webdetails.cdc.mondrian.SegmentCacheHazelcast

Restarted Pentaho and look at tomcat/logs/pentaho.log. At this point I hit an ClassNotfoundExecption on pt.webdetails.cdc.mondrian.SegmentCacheHazelcast.
    Why?
    CDC libs that are copied in tomcat/webapps/pentaho/WEB-INF/lib DO NOT contain such class. Is it right? I don't know...

To go ahead, I replaced in tomcat/webapps/pentaho/WEB-INF/lib/cdc-hazelcast-13.02.07.jar with cdc-13.02.07.jar (from WebDetails continuos integration site).
    The latter contains tha same classes as the previous one PLUS other classes, among those pt.webdetails.cdc.mondrian.SegmentCacheHazelcast

Restarted Pentaho, ClassNotfoundExecption is gone.
    Enabling mondrian log I see "Starting cache instance: pt.webdetails.cdc.mondrian.SegmentCacheHazelcast"
    BUT after I get a new exception "The mondrian.rolap.SegmentCache property points to a class name which is not an implementation of mondrian.spi.SegmentCache".
    The origin is mondrian.rolap.agg.SegmentCacheWorker (line 108):

private static
    SegmentCache instantiateCache(String cacheName) {
    102 try {
    103 LOGGER.debug("Starting cache instance: " + cacheName);
    104 Class<?> clazz =
    105 Class.forName(cacheName);
    106 Object scObject = clazz.newInstance();
    107 if (!(scObject instanceof SegmentCache)) {
    108 throw MondrianResource.instance()
    109 .SegmentCacheIsNotImplementingInterface.ex();
    110}

For me "cacheName" is pt.webdetails.cdc.mondrian.SegmentCacheHazelcast, so I cannot explain why line 108 is been executed.

I've done the procedure with CDC stable and TRUNK-SNAPSHOT versions but nothing changes.

I have the impression that no one is using this stuff: zero information on forum and too many workaround on configuration and installation.
    Even using CDA to query the DB, the cache cluster is always empty.

Quote Originally Posted by fabrizioe View Post
    To let Mondrian be aware of CDC, I modified <pentaho-home>/biserver-ce/pentaho-solutions/system/mondrian/mondrian.properties adding:
    mondrian.rolap.SegmentCache=pt.webdetails.cdc.mondrian.SegmentCacheHazelcast
    Don't do that. That's not how CDC is supposed to be used and nothing will go right from that point.

MondrianOverseer is the class responsible for registering with mondrian.
    If you want to debug the issue yourself, that's the place to start.

If you followed all the steps and it doesn't work, please file a bug and include all the information you can (versions, logs, configuration files..)