Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho BI Server and MS SQL Server 2012

Default Pentaho BI Server and MS SQL Server 2012

Hi. I'm trying to work with Pentaho BI Server and MS SQL Server 2012. and install using the guide (http://www.prashantraju.com/projects/pentaho/)In the attachment, I post all the modified files, and log with errors.
    My software:
    MS SQL Server 2012
    Pentaho BI Server 4.8
    JTDS 1.3.0
    Nothing works, please help.
    If not change the files and use the hsqldb, all the work (the connection to the data warehouse, data analysis, reporting, etc.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kouki; 04-24-2013 at 07:13 AM.

Log file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello Kouki

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Hi. I'm trying to work with Pentaho BI Server and MS SQL Server 2012. and install using the guide (http://www.prashantraju.com/projects/pentaho/)In the attachment, I post all the modified files, and log with errors.
    My software:
    MS SQL Server 2012
    Pentaho BI Server 4.8
    JTDS 1.3.0
    Nothing works, please help.
    You'll need the file dll auth(authetification for windows put int \biserver-ce\tomcat\bin) with the correct jdbc version. And it will be work. I tried to do it with MS Sql Server 2000(the jdbc was version 3) but didnti' successfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio1985 View Post
    Hello Kouki
    You'll need the file dll auth(authetification for windows put int \biserver-ce\tomcat\bin) with the correct jdbc version. And it will be work. I tried to do it with MS Sql Server 2000(the jdbc was version 3) but didnti' successfull.
    I use JTDS rather than JDBC.

Kouki:
    JTDS is a driver.
    JDBC is a "protocol".

So: SQL-JDBC and JTDS both are using JDBC.

The thing about the DLL-File is:
    Either you set the SQL-Server to both "Windows" and "SQL-Server" authentication, so that you will be able to logon to SQL-Server using non-windows account credentials.
    Otherwise (if SQL-Server runs in "Windows-only" mode) you will need to add this DLL and then use the same username as your Windows-accountname you are logged on.

HTH,

Tom

Thanks for the explanation TomS.

Now i work with PostgresSql , i answer this only for my knowledge. Did you work with repository with SQlServer 2000?

Thanks another time.

I wrote earlier. I can connect to the MS SQL Server from BI Server. The problem is that I can not use MS SQL Server for storage of quartz and hibernate databases. If I use for this default HSQLDB, I can not upload scheme to the server (error jpivot).
    The analysis only works if I set the schema in the PUC. If I load the schema from Schema Workbench, I get the error jpivot.
    Last edited by Kouki; 04-24-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Hi again,

using the SQL-Server as Hibernate/Quartz Repository is no problem (and should also be no problem with SQL Server 2012)
    So it all boils down to your connection issues, those you need to fix.

First question to check with your SQL-Server admin:
    Does the SQL-Server support "mixed" authentication? (i.e.: login with a sql-server own account OR windows-account?) or is it set to "Windows-only" authentication?
    See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144284.aspx

Cheers,

Tom

SQL-Server support "mixed" authentication.
    I reinstalled the server. Now I can load the schema from SW and it works. But I can not use the MS SQL as a repository (I receive the errors described in the opening post).
    Actually is it required to have the repository on MS SQL, and not on HSQLDB? What does it affects?
    Last edited by Kouki; 04-24-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Hi,

the first problem I see in your logfile:

Caused by: org.dom4j.DocumentException: Error on line 23 of document : The content of elements must consist of well-formed character data or markup. Nested exception: The content of elements must consist of well-formed character data or markup.
    at org.dom4j.io.SAXReader.read(SAXReader.java:482)
    at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.doConfigure(Configuration.java:1490)
    ... 47 more

You need to get the XML well-formed. There is a kind of syntax-error in it. Correct this one, then delete the logfiles and retry your action.

Basically it is not required to have the repository on MS SQL. Comparing to having the repository in HSQL the advantage is:
    The database usually is backuped better and stable in comparison to such small "script/in-memory" solution like HSQL.

And: The HSQL won't consume additional resources if turned off

Cheers,

Tom