Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Excel Writer - very slow

Default Excel Writer - very slow

Hi everybody,
    we have a job to create a new xlsx file. This new file is created using a template file. Our template is a xlsx file with many sheets (charts, pivot table, ... and 15 data sheets).

For each data sheet we have one query (on Oracle db). Our job is working, but with low performance (almost one hour of running).

We did a test using the text file as the target and the job ran around 5 minutes, then the tuning on the queryes is ok.

Any ideia for reduce this big execution time?

Afaik, writing out to Excel Writer when you large data streaming out to it has poorer performance. Not really sure if performance can be further tweaked on the Excel Writer step itself (need MCaster to confirm).

Did you mean that output to text is way much faster?? Well, if it is, then just copy and paste it back to your Excel sheet ... wherever it needs to go; rather than waiting the Excel writer step to finish.

You can try clicking on the "Stream xlsx data" in the step, I ran into the same issue before. If you stream it, it runs faster however, you get the field headers in the bottom row as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jbarsoum View Post
    You can try clicking on the "Stream xlsx data" in the step, I ran into the same issue before. If you stream it, it runs faster however, you get the field headers in the bottom row as well.

May i know where to check for " Stream xlsx data " ??

Name:  XLSX.png
Views: 325
Size:  19.5 KB
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.