Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: in which scene we should use "Append streams" step?

Default in which scene we should use "Append streams" step?

hello,i am a newer in kettle,and study hard.who can tell me,in which scene we should use "Append streams" step?

3x very much

If you read the description on the linked page and you don't see a use case for this step, have a look at the sample transformation.
    If you still don't see how this step can help you, just wait until a real world task is assigned to you, and try to remember this step when you need it.
    It's always better to look for a solution when having a problem and not the other way around.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

use append stream when u want to append 2 data sources in ur transformaton e.g. if u have s1 and s2 as 2 data sources
    s1 having c1 as column which contain a b c as values
    s2 having c1 as column which contain d e f as values
    after using append stream u will get result set of a b c d e f

lalgourav, I think you're mistaking Append streams with Merge Join. Append Streams must have 2 streams with the exactly same makeup (i.e: "Field1 - String", "Field2 - Number", etc... must be the same in both).

And it APPENDS the streams, it doesn't merge s1+s2 into abcdef, as you mentioned.

As the "IMPORTANT" says at the end of the wiki page...
    Important: If you don't care about the order in which the output rows occur, you can use any step to create a union of 2 or more data streams.
    From what I've seen, except for viewing pleasure, there's no real use for Append Stream step.
    Join us on IRC! =)

Twitter / Google+ / Timezone: BRT-BRST
    BI Server & PDI 5.4 / MS SQL 2012 / Learning CDE & CTools
    Windows 8 64-bit / Java 7 (jdk1.8.0_75)

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez
    PLEASE NOTE: No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.

I'm no expert.Take my comments at your own risk.