Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Table input metadata trouble

Default Table input metadata trouble

so, I have this table input which reads from SQL giving me a number field and an empty string field. Then, with switch, depending on the number, I use set field value to a certain string... or so I wanted to, 'cause when I try to run, I get this error:

Code:
    Set field value to a constant.0 - ERROR : Error in step : 
    Set field value to a constant.0 - ERROR : field1 String<binary-string> : There was a data type error: the data type of java.lang.String object [string1] does not correspond to value meta [String<binary-string>]
    Set field value to a constant 2.0 - ERROR : Error in step : 
    Set field value to a constant 2.0 - ERROR : field1 String<binary-string> : There was a data type error: the data type of java.lang.String object [string2] does not correspond to value meta [String<binary-string>]
    Set field value to a constant 4.0 - ERROR : Error in step : 
    Set field value to a constant 4.0 - ERROR : field1 String<binary-string> : There was a data type error: the data type of java.lang.String object [string3] does not correspond to value meta [String<binary-string>]
    Set field value to a constant 3.0 - ERROR : Error in step : 
    Set field value to a constant 3.0 - ERROR : field1 String<binary-string> : There was a data type error: the data type of java.lang.String object [string4] does not correspond to value meta [String<binary-string>]

Putting a "Select values" after the input, "changing" type from field to String won't do anything.
    Join us on IRC! =)

Twitter / Google+ / Timezone: BRT-BRST
    BI Server & PDI 5.4 / MS SQL 2012 / Learning CDE & CTools
    Windows 8 64-bit / Java 7 (jdk1.8.0_75)

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez
    PLEASE NOTE: No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.

I'm no expert.Take my comments at your own risk.

Instead of selecting the empty string (ie. ''), what happens if you select a space (ie. ' ') and then do a NullIf?
    **THIS IS A SIGNATURE - IT GETS POSTED ON (ALMOST) EVERY POST**
    I'm no expert.
    Take my comments at your own risk.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

Please keep in mind (and this may not apply to this thread):
    No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.
    Signature Updated: 2014-06-30

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    Instead of selecting the empty string (ie. ''), what happens if you select a space (ie. ' ') and then do a NullIf?
    Code:
    Null if....0 - ERROR : Unexpected error
    Null if....0 - ERROR : java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to verify if [de_conta String<binary-string>] is null or not because of an error:java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to [B
    Null if....0 - ERROR : 	at org.pentaho.di.core.row.ValueMeta.isNull(ValueMeta.java:2863)
    Null if....0 - ERROR : 	at org.pentaho.di.core.row.ValueMeta.compare(ValueMeta.java:2898)
    Null if....0 - ERROR : 	at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.nullif.NullIf.processRow(NullIf.java:98)
    Null if....0 - ERROR : 	at org.pentaho.di.trans.step.RunThread.run(RunThread.java:50)
    Null if....0 - ERROR : 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Null if....0 - ERROR : Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to [B
    Null if....0 - ERROR : 	at org.pentaho.di.core.row.ValueMeta.isNull(ValueMeta.java:2838)
    Null if....0 - ERROR : 	... 4 more
    Join us on IRC! =)

PLEASE NOTE: No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.

found the problem: "Enable lazy conversion". With that off, no problems show.
    Join us on IRC! =)

Submit a JIRA.
    The Set Field to Constant should auto-convert from Lazy to Not..
    I'm no expert.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.

JIRA created
    Join us on IRC! =)

just noted now how many problems this Lazy Data causes... O_o
    http://jira.pentaho.com/issues/?jql=...0conversion%22

Jens mentions on this JIRA http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-5516 that it'll be ok only on 5.0 now...
    Join us on IRC! =)

I usually get more than a few funny looks when I hear about data issues and my first comment is "Turn Lazy Conversion OFF!"
    I'm no expert.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux