Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Input from user in the middle of kitchen job?

Default Input from user in the middle of kitchen job?

Quick and simple - is it doable?

I thought maybe a simple "Execute a process" to run "cmd /c pause" would work, so the user would have the option to ctrl+C out of the .bat running kitchen job, but no deal.

The only other option I'm thinking so far would be to break the job in two, and use the .bat file to do that - calling the second part if the user decides to continue...
    Join us on IRC! =)

Twitter / Google+ / Timezone: BRT-BRST
    BI Server & PDI 5.4 / MS SQL 2012 / Learning CDE & CTools
    Windows 8 64-bit / Java 7 (jdk1.8.0_75)

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez
    PLEASE NOTE: No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.

I'm no expert.Take my comments at your own risk.

What got into you?

There's no sense in making an inherently batch oriented process interactive, I believe.

What information must be provided in the middle of a job, that can't be provided in the beginning?
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

haha I was thinking I'd get a reply like that...

The job gets data from at least 4 different sources from at least 4 different departments, compiles them and process a few more information - including some calculations that needs info from all those sources and it's our departments responsibility. The job then creates an XML file to be sent over to Banco Central - Brazil's "FED" counterpart. The idea would be to allow the user running the batch/job to interrupt it before sending the file, so we could analyze the data calculated and check for abnormal behavior.

For most part I've already included a validation subjob in the process, but as the bosses around here said - if I can implement that "display data and allow us to decide if file is sent", this whole process will be ran by them, and leaving me only to do the occasional maintenance and improvement - freeing me up to other tasks.
    Join us on IRC! =)

PLEASE NOTE: No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.

Wait, some head of department will run your Kettle job on her tablet computer, wait for a break, closely inspect some XML document, and then flip a switch to send it on its way to Banco Central?
    Say no, please.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

the idea would be to output on minimal logging level some values to be evaluated - no need for closely inspecting some XML document =p
    but... yeah, that's it.

=edit=
    forgot to mention... the job is all set up already, and the batch too, using PsExec to run it remotely on another computer - so anyone on the team can already use it, entering needed parameters.
    Join us on IRC! =)