Hi Team,

We successfully created an XMLA service for FoodMart data using Mondrian 3.5, My SQL 5.0.88 and Tomcat 6.0, and we tried to connect this service through Microsoft’s ADOMD Client reference and we got the following exception, while executing the following MDX Query (an MDX Query without WHERE Clause).

MDX query:
select {[Measures].[Unit Sales], [Measures].[Store Cost], [Measures].[Store Sales]} ON COLUMNS from [Sales]

Exception details:
Main exception - The server sent an unrecognizable response.
Inner exception - 'Element' is an invalid XmlNodeType. Line 236, position 8.

Stack trace:
at System.Xml.XmlReader.ReadEndElement()
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaReader.ReadEndElement()
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.MDDatasetFormatter.ReadMembers(XmlReader reader)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.MDDatasetFormatter.ReadMDDataset(XmlReader reader)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.SoapFormatter.ReadDataSetResponsePrivate(XmlReader reader)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.SoapFormatter.ReadExecuteResponsePrivate(XmlReader reader, InlineErrorHandlingType inlineErrorHandling)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.SoapFormatter.ReadResponse(XmlReader reader, InlineErrorHandlingType inlineErrorHandling)

Sample link (We need Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 OR Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 to run this sample)

Please note that we were not able to reproduce this issue in our existing Mondrian versions (namely 3.2.1.13885, 3.3.0.xxxx) and reproduced when we upgraded to Mondrian version 3.5.

Further analysis on this issue, we found that each MDX query should have ‘WHERE’ clause to get the cell set without any error through ADOMD Client reference regardless of JPivot environment.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Suriya