Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Date conversion and BST

Default Date conversion and BST

Hello,

I'm running PDI CE v4.4 and have used a select values step to convert a field to a date using the mask yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS.

However PDI is rejected all dates between 2013-03-31 01:00 and 2013-03-31 02:00 as this the British Summer Time switch over so technically the date does not exists.

Is there any way to turn off this as I'm processing data that does not originate from the UK and not all UK servers automatically switch with time change as this is delayed to avoid issues with the over night loads.

Thanks

You are reading time values from a CSV file?
    If no timezone specifier is attached, values are interpreted as local time - in your case BST, I understand.
    You can attach the correct timezone to the string field before converting from String to Date.
    Usually, when processing time values coming from different timezones, Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is used to avoid such pitfalls.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hi marabu,

Thanks for the response, yes it's a file source so I can tag a timezone to the value and then convert it so yet another workaround.

Strange as the date is valid in Javascript as this seems to default to GMT instead of local time, I would have hoped that there was some consistency in the product.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moodog101 View Post
    consistency in the product
    No product involved - it's a matter of languages, Java and JavaScript in this case.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.