Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Creating relationship on a non-star schema model

Default Creating relationship on a non-star schema model

Hi,

Question : Can Pentaho Meta editor support a non-star schema model?

Scenario:

We are trying to evaluate pentaho to embed as a BI tool for our DW product. Our datawarehouse is not a typical star scheme model in which dimensions are directly linked to facts;but we have group-bridge tables between dimenion and facts

A typical join between DIM_PRODUCT& FACT_CASE looks like:
    DIM_PRODUCT.PRODUCT_ID = PRODUCT_BRIDGE.PRODUCT_ID and
    PRODUCT_BRIDGE.PRODUCT_GROUP_ID = PRODUCT_GROUP.PRODUCT_GROUP_ID
    PRODUCT_GROUP.PRODUCT_GROUP_ID = FACT_CASE.PRODUCT_GROUP_ID

You can notice above the addtional joins in our model between dimension and facts. I had build this relationship in Pentaho meta editor and then created a business view of DIM_PRODUCT & FACT_CASE table in it. When I tried to pull a adhoc report from these two tables;it says invalid relationship.(Note: I didnt bring the Group & Bridge tables in business view;since user does need to view the intermediate tables)

Currently we use SAP BO that supports this as we are planning to move to pentaho for cost-effectiveness.Please provide clarity on whether the above is achievable in pentaho.

Thanks,
    Sreedev.

just go through your post here get confused more now you have to wait some apt reply from any expert here . though I'm too keenly looking over the issue to add more tags to my knowledge in case if anything helpful come to your way through post here..

Are you sure the relation is like that?
    You go from FactProductID to ProductGroupID to ProductID. That does not seem logical to me. I would assume that you would go from FactProductID to ProductID to ProductGroupID ... When the ProductGroupID is in the 'middle' how can you determine which ProductID a FactRecord has. Assuming a ProductGroupID can have multiple ProductID's?

Jar

Hi,

Thanks for reply. Let me clarify why we do not have a star schema model:

FACT_CASE - uniquely is identified by CASE_ID granularity.

Each case could have Multiple products and one product can be associated with more than one case.To avoid this many-many relationship in the data warehouse and to get the reports on a case level ; we maintained the FACT_CASE as case-granular and have group-bridge associated tables.Each time there is new product is created/modified/deleted on a case ; a new group gets created on the PRODUCT_GROUP table ;links one-one with the FACT_CASE . PRODUCT_BRIDGE table contains all the multi value combination of Product & a case that will split the N:N internally with 1:N & N:1.

We initially tried with the star schema model;that did not work out due the numerable multi value (many-many) relationship in the source system and Fact table gets exploded into terrabytes of data.

This group-bridge model has been officially approved by KIMBALL group due to its efficiency.Due to the same reason;we do not have a choice to change the model in order to support a specific BI tool. With SAP BO this model works a charm.

Our management decision is to cut cost in terms of SAP product licensing and to choose Open source BI to bundle reports with our product.

I would be happy to answer more if you require more clarification. My challenge here is : How to use this same model for establishing the relationship in pentaho so that users can report seamlessly?

Thanks,
    sreedev.