Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Invalid string or buffer length

Default Invalid string or buffer length

I am just working on my local laptop running the following locally on my machine... 64 bit version of Windows 7, the 64 bit JDK and JRE, MS SQLServer 2008 R2 and I downloaded the open source version of Pentaho Data Integration from Source Forge (version 4.4.0 stable). When I first go in and set up my database connection with the database connection wizard I get the "Connection to the database [mydatabasename] is OK". However as I continue developing my transformation something goes awry and if I go into the Test Connection I get the "Invalid string or buffer length" error. However, sometimes I do not and I have successfully inserted rows into my table from my xml file, but uit appears real finicky and will break and I have to recreate my database connection and my transformation, and then sometimes it will work again.

From some time spent googling and reading, I know this has something to do with Kettle having trouble with something using 32bit versus the 64 bit and I have switched to javaw, but I do not know what exactly I need to edit in Kettle.bat to make my database connection stable.

And switching back and forth between JDBC and ODBC and the 2 SQL server drivers does not seem to malke a difference.