Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Job will not extract transformation from a zip repository.

Default Job will not extract transformation from a zip repository.

I have created a repository of some simple jobs and transformations a put them on a unix box. Then I ran it from command line and it it runs the first job and then fails to load the 2nd of two transformations. I'm using Spoon/kettle 4.3 Stable.

Right before the job tries to call the second transformation I log the ${Internal.Job.Filename.Directory} variable value...

INFO 21-06 13:30:13,582 - JobDirectory - JOB_DIRECTORY zip:file:///pro/java/iconvert/2.24.0/server/bin/etl/REPOSITORY_sis_Quintrex.zip!/system/job

The value is correct, however, the job fails to open the transformation. ( the transformation is in the same place as the first transformation that did run correctly.)

I get the following error...
    INFO 21-06 13:30:13,583 - set_connection_properties - Loading transformation from XML file [zip:file:///pro/java/iconvert/2.24.0/server/bin/etl/REPOSITORY_sis_Quintrex.zip!/system/job\..\transformation\util\set_connection_properties.ktr]
    ERROR 21-06 13:30:13,584 - initalize_environment_variables - org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleException:
    Unexpected error during transformation metadata load

Unable to read file [zip:file:///pro/java/iconvert/2.24.0/server/bin/etl/REPOSITORY_sis_Quintrex.zip!/system/transformation/util/set_connection_properties.ktr]
    Could not read from "zip:file:///pro/java/iconvert/2.24.0/server/bin/etl/REPOSITORY_sis_Quintrex.zip!/system/transformation/util/set_connection_properties.ktr" because it is a not a file.

This second part makes no sense as it is referencing the exact path that it should be and the file does exist. I found that by extracting the zip and running the job it works.

So, why won't it properly extract it from the zip file?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jkilber View Post
    [zip:file:///pro/java/iconvert/2.24.0/server/bin/etl/REPOSITORY_sis_Quintrex.zip!/system/job\..\transformation\util\set_connection_properties.ktr]
    Try rebuilding it without the .. in it.
    **THIS IS A SIGNATURE - IT GETS POSTED ON (ALMOST) EVERY POST**
    I'm no expert.
    Take my comments at your own risk.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

Please keep in mind (and this may not apply to this thread):
    No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.
    Signature Updated: 2014-06-30

Thanks for the response, however, I don't think I can do that as they are there in order to "backup" a directory. The job and transforations directory/folders are at the same level. So, the transformation is not under the job directory.

Build an initial transform in the job directory to set some variables (eg. TRANSFORMDIR = zip:file:///pro/java/iconvert/2.24.0/server/bin/etl/REPOSITORY_sis_Quintrex.zip!/system/transformation\ ) and then use the variables to run the transform. That should work.
    **THIS IS A SIGNATURE - IT GETS POSTED ON (ALMOST) EVERY POST**
    I'm no expert.
    Take my comments at your own risk.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

Please keep in mind (and this may not apply to this thread):
    No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.
    Signature Updated: 2014-06-30

I actually took it a step further and just hardcoded the path. I created a job that has two tranformation entries. It just calls the same transformation twice. It will run the first transformation but not the second. I have tried a few different combinations of running jobs and transformations and no matter what it always fails on the second object that it tries to run. So, in other words as long as the job only runs 1 job or 1 transformation it works.

I think I may have to just extract the files out of the zip file first. I really don't want to have to do this, but not sure I have any other choice.

I wonder if the issue posted here is my problem?
    http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-5073