Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Import Data from File to DW

Default Import Data from File to DW

Hello.

I need to import data from an xls file each hour for my datawarehouse.
    I'm thinking about cde used to create a dashboard where the user adds the file path and this is used in a step in ktr.
    Anyone know how this can be done, or is there a better way?

Thanks !!!
    Emannuel Roque

We use similar approaches to do that kind of operations.

We usually use a Kettle Data source that points to the correct ktr and call it with the parameters inputed by the user.
    Pedro Vale
    --
    CTools Product Development
    http://www.webdetails.pt

ok I get it.

But considering that the ktr file is stored on the server and the files to be imported are stored in the user's machine, to pass the address as parameter the process will work? I can not understand how ktr have access to the file to be imported.

Thanks Again!
    Emannuel Roque

You're probably better off uploading the file to the server.

What you're suggesting might work, but is highly dependant on user machine and network configurations.

You could have your users manually copy a file to a given folder on the server and then inputing the file name in the dashboard (and that would be the parameter to the ktr).

We also have a new Ctool that might help you. It's CFR (Community File Repository) and it provides a file upload component that you can use in CDE. That way, the user would upload the file to the server in the dashboard (no need to copy manually). CFR is not yet integrated into the ctools-installer but you can get the code from github and compile it, if you wish.
    Pedro Vale
    --
    CTools Product Development
    http://www.webdetails.pt