Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: jndiConnectionProvider.setConnectionPath() fails

Default jndiConnectionProvider.setConnectionPath() fails

Hi Forum,

I am trying to apply this post from Thomas (http://www.on-reporting.com/blog/kil...orting-slowly/), most specifically the jndiConnectionProvider part.

I declared two datasources in my prpt file Foo and Bar.

On the Global Scripting tab, I select ECMAScript and then hit templates, then within the init function apply the following code

Code:
      var jndiConnectionProvider = dataFactory.getConnectionProvider();
      var conn = dataRow.get("jndiConnection");

jndiConnectionProvider.setConnectionPath(conn);
    When running the preview mode in Pentaho Report Designer it works fine, when running it from within a Pentaho BI Server instance it keeps failing with the following messages in the log trace

Code:
    Caused by: sun.org.mozilla.javascript.EcmaError: TypeError: Cannot find function setConnectionPath in object org.pentaho.reporting.platform.plugin.connection.PentahoJndiDatasourceConnectionProvider@6ca248f3.
    I suspect that dataFactory.getConnectionProvider() is returning me something it should not (null/empty?) but I don't see what's wrong I am doing here.

Anyone has an idea ?

--
    YGuenane

On the BI-server, the engine is configured to use a different implementation, that PentahoJndiDatasourceConnectionProvider you are seeing.

The ugly solution to your problem is to make a "instanceof" test on whether you have the Pentaho implementation or the default implementation.
    On the pentaho one, the method you seek is called "setJndiName" and it does the same as the "setConnectionPath" method you try to call.

This whole uglyness hopefully goes away in the next (5.1) release.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Thanks a lot Taqua, just what I needed.

When you say 'This whole uglyness hopefully goes away in the next (5.1) release.' what will happen in 5.1?

Only setJndiName() will be used ? Only setConnectionPath() ? Something else ?
    Do we have an ETA on 5.1 release date ?

Thanks again for the trick,

I need to expand the JndiConnectionProvider interface to include setters, so that they are part of the contract. Then there will be only one API you have to worry about, and you wont have to know about what concrete implementation you work with.

The datasource API more or less grew out of need and the common theme of "too much to do, too little time" - so it is not architectured, it just sprawled.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.