Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Error Occurred While getting Resultset

Default Error Occurred While getting Resultset

I set up a BI server 4.8 on Linux. Every thing works great except this "Error Occurred While getting Resultset" An error occurred while rendering Pivot.jsp. Please see the log for details.

Typically I got this error if I didn't use it for a while. At beginning, I thought this may related to "MySQL connection death after 8 hours". So I used c3p0, but the issue remained.

I downloaded and copied two file under:
    /opt/pentaho/biserver-ce/tomcat/webapps/pentaho/WEB-INF/lib/c3p0-0.9.2.1.jar
    /opt/pentaho/biserver-ce/tomcat/webapps/pentaho/WEB-INF/lib/mchange-commons-java-0.2.3.4.jar

I edited /opt/pentaho/biserver-ce/pentaho-solutions/system/hibernate/mysql5.hibernate.cfg.xml
    <!-- hibernate c3p0 settings -->
    <property name="connection.provider_class">org.hibernate.connection.C3P0ConnectionProvider</property>
    <property name="hibernate.c3p0.acquire_increment">3</property>
    <property name="hibernate.c3p0.idle_test_period">10</property>
    <property name="hibernate.c3p0.min_size">5</property>
    <property name="hibernate.c3p0.max_size">75</property>
    <property name="hibernate.c3p0.max_statements">0</property>
    <property name="hibernate.c3p0.timeout">25200</property>
    <property name="hibernate.c3p0.preferredTestQuery">select 1</property>
    <property name="hibernate.c3p0.testConnectionOnCheckout">true</property>
    <!-- end hibernate c3p0 settings -->

Also this only happened when I accessed my database connection. No problem if I use SampleData connection. Also it only happened once. If I tried it again, it worked as expected. And It occurred again next day. Also this seems related to Mondrian data analysis.

I really appreciate if anyone can give me some clue, since I have been struggling on this for long time.

The related log is attached.

Thanks.

09:22:34,388 WARN [ExplicitRules] The Cube 'LargeAccount' relation is not a MondrianDef.Table but rather 'mondrian.olap.MondrianDef$View'.
    09:22:34,391 WARN [TemplateUtil] not found: [Measures].[cnt]
    09:22:34,421 WARN [ExplicitRules] The Cube 'LargeAccount' relation is not a MondrianDef.Table but rather 'mondrian.olap.MondrianDef$View'.
    Warning: Running an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet with an XSLT 2.0 processor
    com.tonbeller.jpivot.olap.model.OlapException: mondrian.olap.MondrianException: Mondrian Error:Internal error: Error while executing query [select NON EMPTY {[Measures].[cnt]} ON COLUMNS,
    NON EMPTY {([CLC].[All CLCs], [cnt].[All cnts], [MRC_group].[All MRC_groups], [year_month_number].[All year_month_numbers])} ON ROWS
    from [LargeAccount]
    ]
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.mondrian.MondrianModel.getResult(MondrianModel.java:307)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.olap.model.OlapModelDecorator.getResult(OlapModelDecorator.java:54)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.olap.model.CachingOlapModel.getResult(CachingOlapModel.java:48)
    at mondrian.rolap.agg.SegmentLoader.loadImpl(SegmentLoader.java:190)
    at mondrian.rolap.agg.SegmentLoader.access$000(SegmentLoader.java:49)
    at mondrian.rolap.agg.SegmentLoader$SegmentLoadCommand.call(SegmentLoader.java:158)
    at mondrian.rolap.agg.SegmentLoader$SegmentLoadCommand.call(SegmentLoader.java:132)
    ... 5 more
    Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: The last packet successfully received from the server was 71,258,137 milliseconds ago. The last packet sent successfully to the server was 71,258,720 milliseconds ago. is longer than the server configured value of 'wait_timeout'. You should consider either expiring and/or testing connection validity before use in your application, increasing the server configured values for client timeouts, or using the Connector/J connection property 'autoReconnect=true' to avoid this problem.
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:411)

Quote Originally Posted by brightlee6 View Post
    Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: The last packet successfully received from the server was 71,258,137 milliseconds ago. The last packet sent successfully to the server was 71,258,720 milliseconds ago. is longer than the server configured value of 'wait_timeout'. You should consider either expiring and/or testing connection validity before use in your application, increasing the server configured values for client timeouts, or using the Connector/J connection property 'autoReconnect=true' to avoid this problem.
    You haven't switched your datasource over to your c3p0 connection.
    Fix that, and your issue should go away.
    **THIS IS A SIGNATURE - IT GETS POSTED ON (ALMOST) EVERY POST**
    I'm no expert.
    Take my comments at your own risk.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

Please keep in mind (and this may not apply to this thread):
    No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.
    Signature Updated: 2014-06-30

If that's the case, why I can access SampleData without any issue? Also it only happens once and then it fixes itself. But will recur again after another eight hours or so.

Any special steps I need to do when I define my data source? I followed all steps setting up c3p0.

Thanks.

Did you move SampleData to MySQL, or is it still HSQL?
    HSQL doesn't have the timeout issue. Nor does PostgreSQL.

When you're defining your data source, instead of telling Pentaho that it's a MySQL DB, you tell it that it's a c3p0 DB. I'm not sure how to do it completely, since I don't have any MySQL DBs.
    I'm no expert.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.

I moved SampleData to MySQL, and also I defined my data source exactly as SampleData. I will double check if there are extra steps for me to do.

Thanks for your response.

Did you try the other solution in the log file?

or using the Connector/J connection property 'autoReconnect=true' to avoid this problem
    I'm no expert.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

Yes. I tried autoReconnect=true for datasource connection, but issue remained. Thanks.

Hello Brigthlee6,
    did you solve this issue?
    I've the same problem .... When I access on User Console and execute a report based on Mondrian cube, it return the error : An error occurred while rendering Pivot.jsp. Please see the log for details.
    ...and logs are like yours.

Thanks in advance,

Patty