Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: I'm getting BigNumber(33): there was a data type error...

Default I'm getting BigNumber(33): there was a data type error...

I have a very simple transformation: I read form a table and update in another, in the same database. Some fields are numeric, integer and decimal. My database is MySql. The numeric fields are defined as INT and Decimal(10,2). The first record gets numbers like 28 19 9 67.8751.

Then I get the error. I tried to change the fields defined as Int to BigInt, but I get the same error.

Where or how can I format the number I'm reading?

I found the answer in an old post, of 'miodas007', dated April 2011 !!!!

If you run the transformation with 'Detailed logging' or more, then you get the error. You have to run the transformation with 'Basic logging', so it works well!

Thanks miodas007!!!!!!

Anyway, I read in 'Pentaho 3.2 Data Integration Beginner's Guide' that you should tell Kettle the format of the numeric data when reading and when writing: 'If you neither specify format nor length or precision, Kettle behaves as follow. While reading, it does its best to interpret the incoming number, and when writing, it sends the data as it comes without applying any format'.

I wonder where have/can I to do that ????

Kettle will provide its default format if you can't set it e.g. when using a Table Input step.
    If you need a different format string, use a Select Values step (tab Meta-data) to change it.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks for the answer, marabu. I'll try.