Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: PDI 5.0 install on OSX fails due to PostgreSQL error

Default PDI 5.0 install on OSX fails due to PostgreSQL error

I am trying to install pdi-5.0.0.1-x64 on a macbook running OSX 10.8.5, Intel Core i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, which already had a postgres 9.2.4 server installed.
    During the PDI installation, a dialog appears that asks for the postgres password, there is no option to skip this step.
    Later, the installation fails due to an error: "FATAL: could not create shared memory segment: cannot allocate memory. Detail: failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=2138112, 03600). Hint: This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for shared memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space, or exceeded your kernel's SHMALL parameter.
    ..."

I have tried to follow the suggestion of modifying my postgres memory configuration to reduce shared_buffers, but this did not seem to have any effect.

Is there a way to bypass this PDI - postgres issue?

thank you

I am facing the same issues on a Mac Mini. Similar specs. pdi-5.0.0.2-x64. Please advise.

Thanks!

I never did get PDI 5.0.0 to install on the mac, I suspect that you have to edit the install script to ignore Postgres. I ended up installing the older 4.4.2-GA version, which seems to work fine.

+1 on this problem. I have an obsolete local Postgres instance which is not the one I intend to connect to; I will be working against an instance on a corporate server. But I can't get past this step. Dead in the water.

Hay que desinstalar cualquier instancia de postgres que tengan, con eso se soluciono mi problema. Saludos.
    Uninstall previus Postgres and be happy

Update: I have installed pdi-5.1, and the problem with Postgres went away.