Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: 64/32 bit mess with windows 7

Default 64/32 bit mess with windows 7

Hi, I did a search on the forum and found that I'm not the only one having the problem, but I don't understand the solutions I've read. I need to use a generic 32 bits ODBC driver on a 64 bits Windows 7. The ODBC is working, I tested it with other software. My only problem is with kettle. How to I get it to open using the 32 bits java? This whole concept of 32/64 bits is really not clear to me, and I'm not a progammer, so trying to understand the bat files is not simple to me. Thanks in advance!

You must use 32-bit Java in order to connect to a 32-bit ODBC driver (via Java's JDBC-ODBC Bridge Driver). It will run fine on a 64-bit Windows machine.

Do you have more than one version of Java installed on your machine?
    Last edited by darrell.nelson; 10-11-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    pdi-ce-4.4.0-stable
    Java 1.7 (64 bit)
    MySQL 5.6 (64 bit)
    Windows 7 (64 bit)

Quote Originally Posted by gugui13 View Post
    I need to use a generic 32 bits ODBC driver on a 64 bits Windows 7. The ODBC is working, I tested it with other software.
    Which way do you mean this?
    You have a 32bit ODBC driver (run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe to see which 32bit ODBC drivers you have loaded) and now need to sort out 32bit PDI
    or
    You have 32bit PDI and now need to sort out 32bit ODBC (try running C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe )
    **THIS IS A SIGNATURE - IT GETS POSTED ON (ALMOST) EVERY POST**
    I'm no expert.
    Take my comments at your own risk.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

Please keep in mind (and this may not apply to this thread):
    No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.
    Signature Updated: 2014-06-30

I need to use a generic 32 bits ODBC driver
    ODBC is the very last thing you want to use with Java, no matter how many bits are involved.
    Why don't you just tell us something about the data source?
    Maybe there's a better way to access it.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I have no choice but to use the ODBC driver provided with the sofware. The source is am accounting software (Acomba) and my understandind is that it's not built on a relational database system, so the ODBC driver is the only choice (and it's not free...). Otherwise the system is locked. The 32 bits ODBC driver is working fine if I use anything else but pentaho to access the data (excel, access, talend). My only problem is with kettle. I'm pretty sure I have both the 32 and 64 bit java installed. Should I "tell" kettle wich to use? How do I do that?

Should I "tell" kettle which to use? How do I do that?
    Absolutely. The easiest way is to define the environment variable PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME so that it points to the top folder of your 32-bit java installation. See the file "set-pentaho-env.bat" in your PDI installation for more options.
    pdi-ce-4.4.0-stable
    Java 1.7 (64 bit)
    MySQL 5.6 (64 bit)
    Windows 7 (64 bit)

Great, it worked! Thanks a lot for the help!