Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho 4.3.0 (and 4.4.0) file open doesn't work on OSX Mavericks

Default Pentaho 4.3.0 (and 4.4.0) file open doesn't work on OSX Mavericks

Ever since upgrading to OSX Mavericks I cannot get the File Open dialog to open more than once without restarting PDI.
    The first time I do a File Open it shows a blank folder and a spinner next to the New Folder button. You can click on the folder dropdown to navigate to other folders, etc. and pick what you need.
    After that any other time you try to do a File Open or Browse from anything that needs a file navigator it does nothing. No dialog will appear.
    Then you are forced to restart PDI in order to use File Open again.

I don't know if this is related to Java apps in general (haven't seen widespread reports of this for other Java apps on Mavericks) or something specific to PDI.

Really frustrating right now. Any ideas?

I've been having this problem too with 4.4.0 since upgrading to Mavericks. Sometimes I seem to be able to get away with an open command more than once, but it eventually stops working.

Just discovered a workaround. If you keep a finder window open, you can drag files onto the spoon workspace and it will open them up. I was able to do this several times and haven't had a problem yet.

This might work ok for file open but does it also work whenever you need to bring up any other file dialog box from within PDI? ex. browse to open up a csv input file or file save as, etc. For me it seems that I can only open up the file management box just once and thereafter no other one will be displayed.

This is also a problem on saving new jobs and transforms. I just built a transform in a new tab and can't get the save dialog to pop up. Bummer.

Not that I know anything about Macs (I'm running on Linux and Windows...) but have you tried the fix mentioned https://www.java.net//forum/topic/jd...mavericks-dp-6
    **THIS IS A SIGNATURE - IT GETS POSTED ON (ALMOST) EVERY POST**
    I'm no expert.
    Take my comments at your own risk.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

Please keep in mind (and this may not apply to this thread):
    No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.
    Signature Updated: 2014-06-30

Hi, I have the same problem. I try to install java 6 for OS X, java 7 (oracle sun) and... any work.

Can you resolve this?

Thanks

Seems to be related to https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=420682 - perhaps upgrading the swt.jar in libswt/osx64 will resolve... Note - I haven't tried this (nor do I have a Mac), but it seems likely that this could resolve the issue. The version of swt.jar we currently use is 3.738.

I tried downloading the latest swt.jar and putting it in libswt/osx64, but spoon won't even launch anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by mbatchelor View Post
    Seems to be related to https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=420682 - perhaps upgrading the swt.jar in libswt/osx64 will resolve... Note - I haven't tried this (nor do I have a Mac), but it seems likely that this could resolve the issue. The version of swt.jar we currently use is 3.738.
    Mike is this something you guys need to do or are we able to get the various versions of swt.jar to try out ourselves? I'm using OSX and the 64bit version of PDI.

I am having this same problem using 4.4.2.1. A workaround I found is to use the 32 bit version of the app. That seemed to solve the problem for me.

Get it working for me (5.0.1 and 4.4.0) by replacing SWT.jar with 4.22 . See my comment in Jira.
    Last edited by MichaelBieri; 01-16-2014 at 12:00 PM.

I'm having the same issue with Yosemite. I can browse to a file once and the next time I try I get "error editing job entry". I've tried both swt files from the Jira ticket.

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.FileDialog.panel_shouldShowFilename(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.dialogProc(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.cocoa.OS.objc_msgSend(Native Method)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.cocoa.NSSavePanel.setAccessoryView(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.FileDialog.open(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.job.entries.trans.JobEntryTransDialog.pickFileVFS(JobEntryTransDialog.java:1333)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.job.entries.trans.JobEntryTransDialog$20.widgetSelected(JobEntryTransDialog.java:1087)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.job.entries.trans.JobEntryTransDialog.open(JobEntryTransDialog.java:1148)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.delegates.SpoonJobDelegate.editJobEntry(SpoonJobDelegate.java:255)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.editJobEntry(Spoon.java:8645)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.job.JobGraph.editEntry(JobGraph.java:2798)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.job.JobGraph.editEntryClick(JobGraph.java:1691)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulDomContainer.invoke(AbstractXulDomContainer.java:313)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulComponent.invoke(AbstractXulComponent.java:157)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulComponent.invoke(AbstractXulComponent.java:141)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.jface.tags.JfaceMenuitem.access$100(JfaceMenuitem.java:43)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.jface.tags.JfaceMenuitem$1.run(JfaceMenuitem.java:106)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:498)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:545)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:490)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:402)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.readAndDispatch(Spoon.java:1316)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.waitForDispose(Spoon.java:7979)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.start(Spoon.java:9310)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.main(Spoon.java:654)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at org.pentaho.commons.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:92)
    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:116)
    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:51)
    at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52)