Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Database Lookup with Integer

Question Database Lookup with Integer

I have a time dimension table with a key attribute called date_key of type Int (10)

I'm trying to get some other attributes from this time dimension table via the Database lookup node with the following match fields:
    Table field Comparator Field1
    date_key = a_date

a_date is a Kettle variable of type Number (8) obtained applying the Java Script parseInt funcion to a string containing values with the format yyyyMMdd (for example '20131030').

The Database lookup node isn't retrieving anything. Of course this is because the node don't find any coincidences via the match fields, but the values I'm searching for in the time dimension table are there.

I guess the problem comes from the data types (Int vs Number), but I have tried also with Integer type for a_date and the problem persist (nothing obtained from the Database lookup node).

I have no idea about how to solve the problem... Anybody have?

Quote Originally Posted by tanis View Post
    a_date is a Kettle variable of type Number (8) obtained applying the Java Script parseInt funcion to a string containing values with the format yyyyMMdd (for example '20131030').
    Yes it could very well be an Integer vs Number issue. So why wouldn't you use the Get Variables step and assign a_date directly as an Integer within that step? I happen to know that, when set up properly, the Database Lookup step usually performs as advertised. Please provide more details if you need more help.
    pdi-ce-4.4.0-stable
    Java 1.7 (64 bit)
    MySQL 5.6 (64 bit)
    Windows 7 (64 bit)