Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Strategy used to distribute rows when using multiple copies of a step

Default Strategy used to distribute rows when using multiple copies of a step

Hi,

Kettle allows setting the number of copies of a given step in order to process many rows in parallel. As far as I understand the distribution of rows is based on round-robin (see http://diethardsteiner.blogspot.fr/2...iple-step.html): each copy of the step will treat the same number of rows.
    In case the time needed to treat a row is not the same for each row, this strategy is not optimal: basically, it could be that one instance of the step will be done while other instances are still working. Would it be possible to have a mechanism where each copy shares the same queue so that every time a step is done with processing the current row, it can pick-up the next one in a shared queue? This would I think slightly improve the performances in some cases.

Regards,
    Nicolas

For your use-case, PDI 5 enterprise edition has a "Load Balance" option.
    It does not have a single queue but it looks at all output queues prior to selecting which one to write to. It could be interesting to do as you suggest on the first row that passes: replace the N output rowsets with a single one but I haven't tried that yet.

Since the distribution method is now a plugin (all EE features are plugins) we also describe an "Overflow" row distribution method: http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/...in+Development

Thanks Matt.

Regards,
    Nicolas