Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Job inside a job

Default Job inside a job

I want to run several transformations in parallel, so I put them in a job running parallel, and then called that job from another job that only sends email when the inner job is completed (i.e. all the transforms called from the inner job are complete).

Two questions:

1. Is this best practice?
    2. I get an error in the inner job "Couldn't find the starting point in this job." But I have a Start step in it, so why am I getting this error?

Hello, I do not see here is start point in "JOB Extract MySQL tables to Staging (srv-db-63)", and i don't see how you setup the jobs in parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt View Post
    Hello, I do not see here is start point in "JOB Extract MySQL tables to Staging (srv-db-63)", and i don't see how you setup the jobs in parallel.
    Hoyt,

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm confused, though, why you don't see those two things. I'm attaching screen shots.

Name:  ExtractMySQL.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  8.8 KB

Name:  RunTranforms.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  9.3 KB

from your screenshot, I can't see anything wrong. I guess it should works.

I guess you attached a broken file, and then I can't see the details. even if i open the file with text editor, it shows me an empty job file without inner jobs or transformations.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt View Post
    from your screenshot, I can't see anything wrong. I guess it should works.

I guess you attached a broken file, and then I can't see the details. even if i open the file with text editor, it shows me an empty job file without inner jobs or transformations.
    Thanks again, Hoyt. I closed Kettle and reopened it, and the error seems to have disappeared. I guess it's a bug?