Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Best way to add leading 0 to some of the numbers (as string) in a field

Smile Best way to add leading 0 to some of the numbers (as string) in a field

Hi

Just started using Kettle Yesterday (Love it -- already productive) But I cant figure out a good way to do this:
    The school district I work for uses student ID's in 2 formats:

Type1 - 20094354 (8 digits always starts with 2)
    Type 2 - 0566677 (7 digits always starts with 05)

I get many files in Excel, which always "helps out" by stripping off the leading zero. (0566677 becomes 566677)

What is a good way to make sure that Type2 student IDs always start with a zero in the final output?

Thanks

Hi.
    Stripping ZEROs helps if they are genuine number and not codes, like telephone numbers, card codes and so on!
    if you want to keep the leading 0, then read that field as a String, not as a number.
    (I think that you can have number with leading zeros as well, but I personally never used that option)
    -- Mick --

Is the origin a number? substring(cast((MyNum + 10000000) as char(8)),2,7)

If it's already a char there are probably more eficient ways, but you can always double cast it!: substring(cast((cast(MyChar as numeric) + 10000000) as char(8)),2,7)

Thanks for the replys everyone!

In my case I just ended up using the regex evaluator to force my 2 different types of student numbers into 2 different fields using capture groups. Once I had these new fields it became a trivial problem to solve.