Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: tableOutput step hangs

Default tableOutput step hangs

I am testing out PDI 5.0 and have a transformation that reads a table from a postgresql database, manipulates some of the fields (data cleansing), and then writes them back to the same postgresql database. The problem though, is that the table output step hangs. I can process the first 94 rows, but as soon as I try 95, it hangs with no error message.

No, the problem is not data on that 95th row. I can do that row by itself, and it works. It seems like some kind of buffering issue because when my batch size is set to 100, it hangs, but if I say batch size = 50, it works for all rows. The table has 340 columns in it. This same transformation worked fine in version 4.3 / 4.4. Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue? Is there some kind of limit as to how many columns or row size the tableOutput step can handle?

the same postgresql database, or the same table?

If it's the same table, you could be running into DB level deadlock.
    **THIS IS A SIGNATURE - IT GETS POSTED ON (ALMOST) EVERY POST**
    I'm no expert.
    Take my comments at your own risk.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

Please keep in mind (and this may not apply to this thread):
    No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.
    Signature Updated: 2014-06-30

It is a different table in the same database, so there is no deadlock issue. The 2 tables are even on different schemas.

In Postgres, check pg_stat_activity to see if any sessions have waiting = true. If the 95th row in your transformation lands on the same key as one of the earlier rows, and your transformation has some kind of parallel workers, then you might have a blocking/deadlock problem.

EDIT: I see that gutlez had the same idea. Even if the source and destination tables are different, you could have a deadlock on the destination if your cleansed rows can collide there.
    Last edited by robj; 11-25-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: add information after others made same point

Deadlock is not the problem. I am reading from one copy of the table, and writing to an empty copy of the table on another schema. Before this transformation runs, I have a job that drops / creates the destination table, so it is empty when this transformation is running. Also, I have no parallel steps, 'set number copies to start = 1' for all steps, so I am reading 1 row and writing 1 row at time in the empty destination table.

Also, there are no other users connected to this database as it is a local installation, and I am the only one using it.
    Last edited by dnrickner; 11-25-2013 at 04:48 PM.

I have 200 tables that I am doing this process for. Only 2 experience this problem. The other tables that work have anywhere from 10 to 900,000 rows in them and have their batch size set to 5000, and I have set number of copies to 4 on the table output step. The only tables I experience this issue with are ones with high column counts. The other table that shows this problem has 181 columns in it. All others work fine.

Hi dnrickner,
    I think I have exactly the same problem, did you finally manage to solve it?
    Regards

No. I never did. I just re-worked the design of my transformations / jobs so it worked differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by elkarel View Post
    Hi dnrickner,
    I think I have exactly the same problem, did you finally manage to solve it?
    Regards

Ok thanks! Quite annoying, I'll try to file a bug.
    Regards