Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: PDI 4.4 is slow on Oracle VM (Windows) when compared to Ubuntu 12.04

Default PDI 4.4 is slow on Oracle VM (Windows) when compared to Ubuntu 12.04

Dears,

Thanks in advance for your support

During my project execution, I could notice that PDI 4.4 takes a very long time to complete a job on Oracle VM (Windows 7) when compared to the same execution done on Ubuntu 12.04 linux flavour.

Here is the report,

Ubuntu
    Start time: Mon Nov 25 15:26:29 IST 2013
    End time: Mon Nov 25 15:30:36 IST 2013
    Total elapsed time: 4 minutes, 6 seconds, and 602 milliseconds.

Oracle VM (Windows 7)
    Start time: Mon Nov 25 15:07:12 IST 2013
    End time: Mon Nov 25 15:16:58 IST 2013
    Total elapsed time: 9 minutes, 45 seconds, and 234 milliseconds.

Before the test, I have done the following,

1. Out of 8 GB RAM available on my laptop, I have shared 3.5 GB to Oracle VM which is upper limit. Beyond this, VM will not utilise the exceeded part.
    2. I have shutdown all the other applications.
    3. Set the heap space to 1024 MB

if "%PENTAHO_DI_JAVA_OPTIONS%"=="" set PENTAHO_DI_JAVA_OPTIONS="-Xmx1024m" "-XX:MaxPermSize=512m"

Please let me know your comments and suggestions.

As far as I know, VM takes shared CPU and memory from host OS (On my laptop, Host=Ubuntu) and this is the main reason, the performance of PDI is slow on VM.

I'm not expert, but I would say that anything running on a VM is slower than "the real thing".
    In Ubuntu, how much memory do you set for PDI?
    -- Mick --

Are both Operating Systems 64-bit? Are both Java VM's 64-bit? When you say the upper limit is 3.5GB on "Oracle VM", that makes me think you are using 32-bit Java on Windows.

Also, I think Windows file system directory operations are notoriously slow under Java - more so than on Linux. Is your job performing a lot of directory operations?
    pdi-ce-4.4.0-stable
    Java 1.7 (64 bit)
    MySQL 5.6 (64 bit)
    Windows 7 (64 bit)

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_data View Post
    I'm not expert, but I would say that anything running on a VM is slower than "the real thing".
    In Ubuntu, how much memory do you set for PDI?
    In Ubuntu, the below is my setting in spoon.sh,

PENTAHO_DI_JAVA_OPTIONS="-Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m"

The host OS Ubuntu is 64 bit while Oracle VM (Windows 7) is 32 bit.

The job of the application is to read files, transform and output them into separate files.

Moreover, I have tested the application on my friends laptop having i5 processor, Windows 7 64 bit (not VM), 16 GB ram and the whole jobs gets completed max 1 minutes 30 seconds.

Based on these investigations and your responses, I may conclude that anything on VM is very slow.

Please do let me know your suggestions as well.

The host OS Ubuntu is 64 bit while Oracle VM (Windows 7) is 32 bit.

The job of the application is to read files, transform and output them into separate files.

Moreover, I have tested the application on my friends laptop having i5 processor, Windows 7 64 bit (not VM), 16 GB ram and the whole jobs gets completed max 1 minutes 30 seconds.

Based on these investigations and your responses, I may conclude that anything on VM is very slow.

Please do let me know your suggestions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by darrell.nelson View Post
    Are both Operating Systems 64-bit? Are both Java VM's 64-bit? When you say the upper limit is 3.5GB on "Oracle VM", that makes me think you are using 32-bit Java on Windows.

Also, I think Windows file system directory operations are notoriously slow under Java - more so than on Linux. Is your job performing a lot of directory operations?