Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Global Variable for use in Transforms?

Question Global Variable for use in Transforms?

How can I use a Global Variable for a file path and other other values to be used throughout my Transforms? I want to make the Transforms very "portable" so that the users will only need to update values (e.g. Path).

Can someone provide some guidance or an example here?

Thanks in advance!

KP

Any variables you define in the .kettle/kettle.properties file located in your "home" directory will be available in all Kettle jobs and transformations. In Spoon, wherever you see one of those grey diamonds with a red dollar sign (I think that's what it is) inside it just hit CTRL-SPACE and your variables should be in the list. All each user has to do is maintain their own kettle.properties file.
    pdi-ce-4.4.0-stable
    Java 1.7 (64 bit)
    MySQL 5.6 (64 bit)
    Windows 7 (64 bit)

Well, there are Kettle properties as Darrell described, and there are parameters.
    Parameters are defined in the transformation or job settings and values are supplied there, too (default), or at runtime via kitchen and pan.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

If I configure a parameter at the Job level (once), would the parameter be available to all Transforms and other Jobs associated with Top level Job? Or do I need to configure the parameter at each Transform (repeat)?

Thanks.

KP

Parameter values are available as variables in nested jobs or transformations.
    No need to define parameters, if you never intend to provide values in a shell command line.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.