Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Running sum/count without aggregation

Default Running sum/count without aggregation

Hi,

Came across something today which sounds simple, but turns out I can't see a native way to do it!

Essentially i want a running total/count, possibly I want it conditional in the future.

So group rows step cannot be used because I don't want to do any grouping. At most all i want to do is increment a counter when a field is a certain value.

It's easily done in the UDJC step, or even in javascript if you can take the performance hit but this just feels wrong. Any other ways?

Dan

Maybe you can try "Output steps metrics" step.
    -- Mick --

Ooh; an interesting one. A quick glance at it however and it only passes rows once the "step" you're interested in has finished. I need this to stream through. i.e. i just want a count of 2 on the 2nd row, i dont want to wait and see what may come next.

Can see that being pretty useful though, especially in process reporting etc

In most of the Input steps, there's an option to add the ROWCOUNT as a field.
    -- Mick --

Quote Originally Posted by codek View Post
    Essentially i want a running total/count, possibly I want it conditional in the future.
    I once described a suitable concept here, I think.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

You could filter rows, and then use a Group By step with the Cumulative Sum option (along with return all rows), and merge it back together again....
    **THIS IS A SIGNATURE - IT GETS POSTED ON (ALMOST) EVERY POST**
    I'm no expert.
    Take my comments at your own risk.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

Please keep in mind (and this may not apply to this thread):
    No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.
    Signature Updated: 2014-06-30

thanks, the group rows step will do it for me with the all rows option after all - i had somehow misunderstood that step.
    I wanted to avoid splitting and merging because of the risk of a hang in that scenario.
    I did notice the group rows step can be quite slow, but that largely seems to be due to memory usage. If you reduce the rowset size it can improve the performance quite a bit.