Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Help with transformation using different databases under the same Server

Question Help with transformation using different databases under the same Server

Good Morning everyone, hope all of you are fine

I have a doubt about transformations and/or jobs. My case is the next one

Under a MySQL Server, I have 15 databases on this server, the user and password to connect to those databases are the same ones, the only that change is the name of the databases.

What I want to do is, in a previous step get an input parameter specifying to which database I want to connect, so in the Table Input Step, execute the Query, under the database I selected.

The parameter connections are the same for all 15 databases but the only that change is the name and I will like to specify it with an input step.

Is there a way I can do this? and not configuring 15 table input?

Thanks in advance. Greetings

You have to learn how to use variables.
    Your best approach (in my personal opinion) would be to buy one of the 2 books about PDI - links are in one of the sticky post at the top of the forum
    Alternatively you can google for various blogs on the web about kettle/PDI and search in this forum - this is how I have learned about variables.

Both options can take some efforts and time, but in the long run are your best options than waiting for someone to post a complete solution tailored to your specific scenario.
    -- Mick --