Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Spoon 5.0.1 Error creating repo

Default Spoon 5.0.1 Error creating repo

When I create a repo with 5.0.1 I get errors in the create scripts that are generated for MySQL.

This is MySQL 5.5, and Pentaho tries to use a boolean type, which is an integer in mysql. The insert/update statements use 'N' and 'Y', which fail.

if I change every boolean column type to CHAR(1) in the SQL that Spoon generates, the repo is created and all is well.

This is a very annoying bug, and an end-user should not have to preview, modify and then run the scripts to setup the repo.

This is a known issue and I'm not sure it would be considered a bug.

If you edit your database connection, choose advanced, there's an option to check "supports boolean".

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by harakiro View Post
    This is a known issue and I'm not sure it would be considered a bug.

If you edit your database connection, choose advanced, there's an option to check "supports boolean".

Hope that helps!
    Thank you. That does help. I would think that MySQL would be a fairly common repo, and I could not find any documentation about this no matter what I searched for. In leiu of calling it a bug, maybe the error message could suggest this or it could be more obvious in the documentation.

Is there a way to detect the "supports boolean". I haven't looked at how the SQL is generated, but if the database does not complain about they syntaix, there must be a way to figure out that it will not accept a 'N' or 'Y', or maybe use an enum instead? I don't know that enum would be much better with cross-platform support, but as I said I suspect that MySQL will be a pretty common use case for this particular function and IMO should be a little more user friendly.

Thanks for your help, hopefully this will show up for others that are looking...