Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Can You Delay/Stagger HTTP Post step requests?

Default Can You Delay/Stagger HTTP Post step requests?

I have what I would think is a pretty common problem. I'm calling a service with HTTP Post and getting responses back. This all works fine except when I get many records it's pummeling the server with too many requests which it subsequently starts returning errors since it's being overloaded past the allowable limits of the service.

Is there a way to slow it down or make it wait for a request to come back before it sends another one? I know this is bad for performance but it's something I need to solve to make kettle work for our data integration. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Walter.

There is a Delay Row step that can be inserted in order to slow down the processing of the rows by a fixed time value.

Another option would be to build up the rows in a job and then execute them (using the "execute for each row" option) in a transformation that handles one row at a time. Using that method, each request would complete before another request was sent.
    pdi-ce-4.4.0-stable
    Java 1.7 (64 bit)
    MySQL 5.6 (64 bit)
    Windows 7 (64 bit)

Quote Originally Posted by darrell.nelson View Post
    There is a Delay Row step that can be inserted in order to slow down the processing of the rows by a fixed time value.

Another option would be to build up the rows in a job and then execute them (using the "execute for each row" option) in a transformation that handles one row at a time. Using that method, each request would complete before another request was sent.
    Man, thanks so much. That is 'exactly' what I needed. I knew something had to be there. Thanks again!